Friday, July 07, 2006

Why I love the OD (again, another in a series…)

Okay, so I love the fact that the initials of my church can be mistaken for Over Dose. I’m a little twisted, but if you’ve been reading here for any length, this is not news.

We have art tables. So if the sermon is a little wacky or you’re feeling a little restless, you can draw pictures to your heart’s delight. Some people journal, but I draw pages and pages of simple line drawings: a garment of praise (?) I think it’s from Isaiah. There are pages and pages of simple line drawings by moi. (If you're looking, they're the ones marked sw and a date)

We are not perfectionists (well, most of the time). On Father’s Day, Dustin was heading up the worship music and he wanted to honor his grandfather by playing his favorite hymn, (which I’ve now forgotten). Anyways, he was doing great, but he’d never played it before and so he asked for help. Nathan came up and gave him a hand on the vocals. It was just great to see the two men up there, cooperating in song. (Of course, kudos to the rest of the band, too, lest they read this and feel left out…)

This summer (well, June and July) we have all “guest preachers,” as BJ is taking an intense Hebrew class. So you know what the scripture will be, (we’re doing the book of Mark, one chapter per week) but you don’t know what the format will be…for instance, Krista did a “community sermon” for The Union Project, the owners of the building, decided that instead of paying $1 million to have someone else fix the windows, they’d hire a stained glass teacher and charge folks $200 for the privilege of learning how to do stained glass and the materials would be the windows for the Union Project. (A little Sharp Edge afterwards, most Sundays. I recommend the Mystery Beer (just $3) and the Mediterranean nachos--yum! (Oh did I mention we meet at 6 pm, which means I have the day of Sunday to really rest?) (Or go to other people’s churches in the morning.)

We take art seriously. Our offering urn was made by one of our in house artisans, Garret. We do an art installation of the Stations of the Cross every Lent, two years running now. (Each artist takes a station, creates something that represents that station.)

Oh, about the building again—the Union Project has a café now and it has the best sandwiches. And the best staff. And you never know what the music will be—BOB-FM, or WYEP, or someone’s Ipod.

I could go on and on and on. But I won’t. Have you heard about the new Twelve Step program for incessant talkers? It’s called On and On Anon.

3 comments:

MsCellania said...

I have always loved the stained glass windows in the various parishes I've belonged to. It never occured to me - but they were stations of the cross in every church now that I think about it. I'm seeing a theme here...

You are lucky to find a place that fits you, SL.

Caro said...

On and On Anon, ha ha.

Sarah Louise said...

The stations of the cross are a Catholic thing--most Catholic Churches have them--they were created so that folks that couldn't afford the time and expense of taking pilgrimages could take a pilgrimage "at home." I've done two different stations and it always stretches my faith on how to depict a particular part of the Passion story.