Friday, July 28, 2006

Friday Fourteen (which I admit, I like better than Thursday thirteen)

Stolen shamelessly from Carolyn

Fourteen Facts about my misspent youth:

1. I, like Carolyn, decided at a young age that I didn't like babies.

2. All that changed when I became a sibling at the age of ten. Um, but I still only liked babies RELATED to me.

3. I was the last of my friends to "become a woman." I felt very left out. Ah, the blissful stupiditiy of youth.

4. I was boy crazy from third grade on. I blame pop music. I also blame Honduras (which is where we lived at the time.) Instead of flowers or Garfield on the fronts of blank notebooks, they'd have pictures of couples at the beach against a sunset.

5. The boys never liked me, or if they did, I never knew. (I found out a few months ago about a guy who had a crush on me--his mom told my dad.) (Um, am I 34?)

6. I had my first "boyfriend" in sixth grade (yes, I robbed the cradle, he was in fourth grade.) But then we moved. And by "boyfriend" I mean if we went out to dinner with our parents, we sat at our own table. That's it. Oh, except that I sent him an anonymous Valentine and he sent me one too. He found out it was me from a friend of mine who took his bus. I found out it was him from my mom in the plane as we left the country, three months later, when we moved from Honduras to the U.S.

7. His parents still refer to me as his first girlfriend, a fact I only found out three years ago.

8. I didn't get my first kiss until I was seventeen. The guy later said, I was prepared for you to hit me. (I'd only just met him, and we were in a dark auditorium.) Oh my...

9. I read voraciously. This gave two boys in sixth grade the lovely idea to nickname me, "Digested Reader." Hardy har har har.

10. I often read instead of doing my math homework. For the answers, I'd write zero, zero, zero.

11. My fantasies (I kid you not) were G-rated: I was at my granny's and we run into Rick Springfield. I invite him up for lemonade. That's it!

12. I would name my crushes by their clothes or their cars: there was Green Jacket, Green Car...

13. And I thought we were "meant to be" whenever my crush wore the same color sweater as me.

14. My mother forbade soap operas. I was an avid Santa Barbara and General Hospital fan and often watched at my friends' houses.

4 comments:

Bearette said...

cute...i like the lemonade rick springfield fantasy ;) remember the video for "jessie's girl"? very silly...

EdotR said...

I was totally on the contrary with the soap operas...my parents, family, everyone encouraged us to live in la la land....

I decided Alf was a far better choice..!!

Caro said...

Digested Reader! I can't quit cackling!

I was the Jolly Green Giant and Too Tall Jones so I feel your pain.

Bearette said...

one of my friends lied about hers, then revealed that she "really" got it later. it was very dramatic.