Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sarah Louise writes (ack) about a book she's never read!

Okay, so I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna read the Da Vinci Code. I mean, all my friends have, so I figure, they've read for my quota. (Which is basically what I said about Harry Potter 3 years ago.) (Which, if you haven't met me, I adore.)

But the Da Vinci Code, well, I don't know. But, I've been wanting to introduce you to my friend (actuallly we've never met, but he emails me every day) John Fisher.

An intro: John Fisher is a coffee drinking Christian who shoots straight. If you read no other essay on the Da Vinci code, read his. What does he say? "The last time I mentioned The Da Vinci Code, I was on page 234. Well I have finished the book now, and as an author of three novels, I think I understand what is happening here. Let me explain." IT'S FICTION! But, friends, he goes on to say, it's fiction about some pretty important stuff, so don't take this lightly. (Hey, and unlike Salon, you don't have to watch a commercial before you get to the article) (Sorry, Babs!)

The link is also a link to The Purpose Driven Cafe

(Joke, what is the alt-### for the accent?)
(Bite me!)

which is new, due to Starbucks putting a Rick Warren quote on Starbucks cups. If you are rolling your eyes now, (I saw that! You know who you are!) know this: Rick Warren backwards tithes.

Um, what does that mean, SL?

That means that all the cash he made and is still making off his runaway bestsellers, The Purpose Driven Life, and so on, instead of giving a regular tithe (10%) he gives 90%.

Yes, you read that right.

Whatever else you might think or know about Rick Warren (link to a Christianity Today article), he and his wife give away 90% of what they make to God's work. And they are serious about AIDS in Africa. (Stopping it, that is, and helping those that have it or are orphaned as a result.)

And yes, I will blog more about Patricia M, Kathleen N, and, yes, my weekend at Cleansing Stream. Patience is a virtue, folks. And I gotta go. Ciao!

Oh, and other coming attractions:
  • the cunningly wrapped item that Babs and blackbird picked out from me in Bethlehem.
  • more pictures of the Southside Works and a short review of Hoot: see it!

And this just heard: the Dormont pool WILL open! Google it yourself, I really must run.

No comments: