Monday, May 29, 2006

Happy Memorial Day!

Ellen is a repeat, I think. If any channel is showing our President at Arlington National Cemetary, it's not one of the four I get (NBC, ABC or CBS (never sure), and PBS) .

I don't have any particular Memorial Day traditions, but here are a few things I've done, over the years:

  • Last year: the Don Beyer walk in Falls Church, Virginia. I got a pink t-shirt.
  • The two years I worked at Fox Books in Falls Church, I worked for time and a half.
  • Picnics, picnics, picnics.
  • Watched the movie Twister for the first time (significant, the first time, since I saw it over ten times in the theatre.) Don't ask. It was a long time ago.
  • Had a very bad yard sale.
  • Watched the movie Volcano (the next year) (I felt the need to watch a disaster movie on Memorial Day as a tradition, but it didn't stick).
  • Accepted a ride home from one of those picnics from an ex-boyfriend. We were back together by July 4th. In unison, now, Awww. We were ancient history by the following Easter. Oh well.
  • And today: I got up early and took some pictures of flowers. I hope you like them.

4 comments:

Salar37_Shushan said...

aaawwwwww ;)

Well, you've done more than I usually do!

Usually we have a cookout and at somepont we'll cover why there is a Memorial Day. (Yay! History lessons!) Sometimes we visit an area park or other historic attraction (there are lots around here as we're near Col. Wmsbrg). Don't usually do the organized big group thing for this day. No idea why not. Just never have.

My kids may light up some sparklers tonight. Hope you enjoy your day too. :-D

MsCellania said...

There is a Big Deal Race here every Memorial Day that I have never done. I go apeshit in crowds.

We go to my parents' house and chow and jaw. We are headed downstairs to watch a movie now. I'll suggest a Disaster Movie to dh. Don't ask me why we are starting to watch a movie at 10:30 pm on a school night. It's the only time we have time. I guess I could be reading!

Anonymous said...

Flowers are good and pretty and make things right in the world. Happy memorial day!

Sarah Louise said...

Vickee, watching a movie with your dh or reading? I'm sorry, but choice #1 would win with most of us, I think!!

I live with the Borges quote: 'I always imagined heaven as a library' so I figure if I don't read it now, I'll have eternity to read it then!