Sunday, February 11, 2007

Yeah, I actually don't think it's going to work out, but I'm pulling for you, Ru.

(Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Sandy Lyle in Along Came Polly)



I love this line from Along Came Polly, a movie I only watched because a co-worker recommended it, who loves Ben Stiller. This guy, Reuben (Ben Stiller) is a risk analyst and he does everything cautiously. In walks Polly (Jennifer Aniston), who walks to the beat of shall we say, a different drummer? Polly introduces Reuben to Latin dancing, spicy food, and her blind ferret.

The whole movie you're right there with Phillip (we're likethis) saying "I don't see this happening." I mean, c'mon!!

**********SPOILER ALERT****************


Ben and Jen end up together--it's a beautiful crazy chaotic thing.

******************************************

I've been thinking about age lately (well, I did just have a birthday.) And it occurs to me that if you were to count my life in growth spurts, I'd probably really be 25. I've had to spend so much energy smoothing out my bumpy road that I haven't really been doing things that women my age are doing: buying houses, having their third child, getting job promotions.

Cue Rascal Flatts' song, God Bless the Broken Road...

And I am fine, working the mommy track at the library (yes, that's what this laissez-faire system of flex time is called.) I am happy at my job. I am happy in my apartment. I do not want to have to pay for a new roof, furnace, or think about siding.

I've been reading this great book, The Joy of Doing Things Badly. Actually, I haven't been reading it lately, because it is lost somewhere in my apartment. Probably in a purse I haven't used in weeks. But when I find it, I'll tell you more about it, because that Veronica Chambers is my hero. She is not afraid to live her life.

Right now, I'm still reading How to be Perfect by Jean Kerr and loving it. Oh, and I finished Good Will (the second novella in the collection by Jane Smiley called Ordinary Love and Good Will). Heartbreaker, but oh so good.

(That part was written in November.)

I have now just finished Gilead. It was so good that from Etna to twenty minutes later--it only takes me seven minutes to get home from Etna--I was sobbing. The first three quarters are slow and plotless but meandering. Best suited for audio books, actually. Believe me, it is SO worth the wait. And last night I had dinner at C&A's. Cameron has finished it, Amber has not, so we couldn't fully talk about it, but, we were able to talk about another amazing book, East of Eden. And then my phone rang. It was my dad, calling from Dallas. (They're most likely in Austin now.)
Today will be cooking, something, for the community dinner, and breakfast. I need sustenance! So here are a few pictures:

To remind me to work on my writing...

This was taken at my library, from the parking lot...

I think boys kids are playing hockey on Lake Carnegie. I would if I was a boy kid.

So, yes, yesterday, I worked a full day, I finished Gilead, I walked on water (albeit frozen) and had a lovely evening among friends. Maybe February isn't all bad. Lilly and I have sworn off boys and are going to Panera or something for Valentine's Day.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Love your manicure!

Funny you should mention it, I'll find out on Monday if I have to pay for a new heater or not:(.

Badger said...

Girls can play hockey too!

The only Ben Stiller movie I've liked so far is Night at the Museum.

I hope your parents enjoy our weird Austin weather while they're here!

Ack! I failed the WVW the first time. Here's try number two...

Sarah Louise said...

Badg, I only meant if I was a boy and I had other boys to play hockey with. I was not making a sexist comment. It was more of an ageist one.

MsCellania said...

The nails look nice.
Did you notice that you are reading How to be Perfect and the Joy of Doing Things Badly possibly at the same time? Conflicting, no?
I find Ben Stiller pretty to look at but annoying. Jennifer Anniston? Same thing! So, no Along Came Polly for me.
Love hearing about Pittsburgh, the city of many summers for me. And 55 first cousins...

KitchenKiki said...

Listen to Dar Williams song "When I was a Boy" then you can play hockey!

Nice pink nails. They match your shoes!

Sarah Louise said...

Mscell--

Actually, HT be Perfect and The Joy of Doing things badly are similar books, content-wise. They both are tongue in cheek books about how perfection is an illusion. Funny, strong women.

Badg--

I changed "boys" to "kids." And they are. I drove by the lake on the way home from seeing "Because I said so" and saw two boys and a dad.

SL

Amy said...

Yeah, no Ben Stiller anything for me, either, and Jennifer I thought, was only good in Derailed, but that's just me.

Amy A. said...

Pretty nails.

Hope you find your book soon. I'd like to hear more about it.

Anonymous said...

pretty nails, love that colour! not a big fan of ben still or jen anniston. it is good to be happy at your job, btw :)
and lol, i am still reading the same two books i was reading 2 weeks ago! ;)