Monday, February 26, 2007

In which I'm really Sarah Louise, hypothetically thinking about things in a hypothetical way

(This was written on Saturday, just so you realize this is not a new idea.) (It's been percolating for a while now.)

Okay. So I'm driving home from the Edgewood library (which isn't as great as I remembered, but my memories are over ten years old and a library does have to expand--yes, I've been there since the expansion, but old memories die hard) and I thought, maybe the reason I haven't bought a house in da Burgh isn't so much that I want another person in my family before I do that as the phenom that I've observed in women's literature: He didn't want to marry YOU, he didn't want to have a baby with YOU. He marries the next girl, has a baby with HER. Maybe I haven't bought a house here yet because I don't really want to settle in Pittsburgh.

Now, if you've met me, your jaw may be on the floor right now, so I'll give you a minute to right it.

YES, I love Pittsburgh. But no, I am not FROM here, and I have no family within 4-5 hours. Um. I adore my church, my little support system of friends, but if I've learned one thing from my time in da Burgh, blood is thicker than water.

I had a conversation Thursday with a girl who lived in Philly for seventeen years. But she moved back, as they all do. Are you from here? She asked me. No. We talked about the magnetism of family. Which is part of the whole thing here. Everyone leaves Pittsburgh when they are young and then, like sea turtles, they return--to mate, have offspring, retire.

I want to be able to see my cousins, and my girlfriends from college. And guess what? They're all on the Eastern Sea Board or something like it. I want the ocean, dammit!! I heart Sandcastle, but it ain't got the beach!

So I'm thinking, Annapolis, or Maryland in general...partly because last week I sat next to a guy at a dinner who lives there. It was like a light bulb went off in my brain. Annapolis! Now, there is a place I could love. Now, I know my sister will surely chime in that it is a Navy town, and I know all that. But I don't want to live in DC. And you couldn't pay me enough to live in Northern Virginia unless it was in Falls Church, and then, you'd have to pay me A LOT, because, well, the price of real estate is well...

And no, I haven't looked at the prices in Annapolis. This is HYPOTHETICAL. Dream with me.

I would consider Silver Spring, as it is the home of my alma mater, Montgomery Blair H.S. (although the building has changed). I would more likely consider Tacoma Park.

The MFA at Carlow is low residency. Which means I could live anywhere (Timbuktu?) and still take the 10 days in da Burgh in January, 10 days in Ireland in June. Email has made so much possible, but email is not a substitute for my family.

Am I crazy? Maybe I've just been sick for a week and I haven't been able to walk in the park in over a month, and it's February, and I'm possibly hormonal.

And yes, I looked at job listings last week. Didn't see anything promising...yet.

7 comments:

jenny said...

oooh, dreaming of moving...

a little wanderlust is nice.

but you DO have a half price books store in pittsburgh. So i'd say that was a plus in favor of staying.

Paula said...

I think you already answered all your questions :)

Jess said...

An adventure!

SL needs new places to walk those pink shoes!

Badger said...

You're not crazy. I LOVE Austin, but sometimes I wonder if I would love it as much if my parents had moved back to OH (like they were planning to do just before I found out I was pregnant with the girl). They are only 10 minutes away, and that's AWESOME.

Family is important, and the time to move is when you're single, when you have no one to answer to but yourself! (I know it's nuts; I would not trade DH and the kids for anything, but sometimes I do miss those days when I was only responsible for ME.)

But if you do decide to stay put, I am confident you can bloom where you're planted, as it were.

Sarah Louise said...

Thanks guys. Oh, but I will have to clean out my apartment now--because I am not taking the crap that has accumulated over 12 years in this garret to the next place!!

And J, there are Half Price Books in Virginia too, I'm pretty sure. If that's the only thing holding me here, it's a pretty weak argument, as I only go there 1 to 2x/year. I would probably come back to Pgh that often.

Unknown said...

If you moved to Silver Spring or Tacoma park, I would think of you everytime I read the Alice books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor.

Although, I'd miss you if you did leave.

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I live in Annapolis, just moved here from Dallas TX, and am here to say that the closest Half Price Books is in....Pittsburg. Yip, it's unfortunently true. Dallas has like 18 Half Price's so it's been a difficult adjusment process.

so for whatever that's worth...

Good Luck!

-Daniel