Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Happy Birthday Mama (with apologies to John and Paul)

For my mama, who will forever be 29 in my eyes, Happy Birthday!

When I get older, gray in my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When you're sixty-four?

I'll be older, too. Aaah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you.

I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone.
You can do lesson plans at the kitchen table by the fireside, Sunday evenings, go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when you're sixty four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Poconos it's not too dear. We shall scrimp and save.
Alas, no grandchildren yet on your knee, (not Vera, Chuck, or Dave).

Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away.
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when you're sixty four?

by John Lennon/Paul McCartney (some words changed by Sarah Louise)

Also, Wednesday is the only day my alarm goes off. (It truly is the little things in life--all those 6-24 mos. olds at Mother Goose!) I had set my cell phone (my alarm) on my computer desk. It went off at 7 and I didn't recognize the noise. It went off again at 7:11 and I kid you not, the vibration made it JUMP OFF THE DESK ONTO THE FLOOR. So I had to get up then, laughing.

Her children shall rise up and call her blessed. That's scripture. (Or call each other and try to figure out what to get the woman who has everything and wants nothing.)

Okay, gotta go!!

4 comments:

Badger said...

Happy birthday to your mom!

DH and I played that song at our wedding. :)

Caro said...

Happy Birthday SL's Mom.

KitchenKiki said...

Happy Birthday Chirp Chirp!

Paula said...

Happy Belayed Birthday to your mom!