Tuesday, December 19, 2006

So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep (Genesis 2:21, NIV)

Sleep is this bizarre thing. We need it. So, some random thoughts...

From one of my favorite films: "Peter once asked me when I fell in love with Jack. And I told him, "It was while you were sleeping." (Lucy's last words as the movie fades out.)

Having my deep slumber Monday night to Tuesday morning, and waking up not knowing what day it was, made me think about sleep. And dreams.

Wee Willie Winkie, runs through the town!
Upstairs, downstairs, in his nightgown.
Rapping at the windows, crying through the locks
Are all the children in their beds, for now it is eight o'clock! (Traditional Nursery Rhyme)
...

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

(Someone embroidered this for me as a child and it hung in my bedroom.) Though now it reminds me of the Metallica song, Enter Sandman.

I think in some ways, sleep is like prayer. We need it to thrive, but we resist it. We come up with everything to do--get a drink of water, read a book, watch TV--but at some point our bodies fall in exhaustion. I often have trouble getting to sleep and I often have trouble starting to pray. I pray best when walking but as of yet I don't think I sleep walk. (My brother does sometimes though!!)

Of course, one of my favorite Psalms talks about sleep:

In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves. (Psalm 127:2, NIV)


And on a totally different note, here are a few links about giftgiving: (for tis the season)
  • Adrian's thoughts on gift cards with a bonus link to Colin's philosophies...
  • Erin talks about being kind to ourselves and mentions community gifts
  • Pat mention's Carlos' book (which I linked back on Online Shopping Day)

and a few folks I support...

And hey, if you can't think of ANYTHING, why not I heart PGH paraphenelia?

No comments: