Monday, December 04, 2006

Geography Lesson: How to be a rebellious Pittsburgher (plus books!)

Let's see.

Today I left the house by 8:20ish. I arrived home at 5:45pm. Gosh, that doesn't sound like a day off...but as a result of this morning's Children's District meeting I don't have to go into work until 5 pm on Thursday, woo hoo! I might catch a matinee!! (Suggestions??)

The point of living in Pittsburgh is to stay within a five mile radius of your house. I break this every day when I leave the city to go to work in the North Hills. (13 or so miles, plus one river.)

Because that's the other thing in Pittsburgh--all these bridges and the point of life in Pittsburgh is to not cross rivers. Well, today, not only did I drive to the South Hills (13 miles), I also:
  • drove through 2 tunnels (or the rather the same tunnel, both directions.)
  • crossed two rivers twice. (Mon, Mon, Allegheny, Allegheny)
  • went to the South Hills for the morning and the North Hills for the afternoon.
I'm such a rebel!

**************
I continue to read Good Will by Jane Smiley (the second novella in the collection of two novellas called Ordinary Love and Good Will.) I heart Jane Smiley. She is just superb.

Also reading How to be Perfect by Jean Kerr (who also wrote plays, including Please Don't Eat the Daisies). HTBP is a collection of essays and it is delightful. It reminds me of Erma Bombeck or Peg Bracken. I'm sure Kerr's book is out of print, so it will now be my quest to find a copy.

I tried Lee Smith again (The Last Girls) and, nope, I just don't get her. Let me know if you love her, I'll pay postage within the U.S. Send me an email this week, or it goes to Goodwill.

And today I did my last bit of homework on Beth Moore's study on The Patriarchs. Oh how I love love love Beth Moore. Tomorrow at Women's Bible Study will be the last video session and then starting in January we'll be doing a book about being Mary in a Martha world? Something like that. It's hard to believe that the new year will be here very soon!! (No, I will not admit that Christmas is just three short weeks from now....)

I seriously could take a nap...which I might, since I'll be up at ten, to watch Studio 60...

I'm having some gals over Saturday for a Mary Kay party--a dear friend is qualifying to be a director and so to show her support, I'm having this party for her. I still have to invite more folks, but that nap thing is sounding really tempting....

************
Tried taking a nap: Sis called, Sally called, Kelly called. Oh well, I did catch a few winks and I did dishes while Kelly told me about her day.

10 mins to Studio 60!!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

oh oh oh! How to be a Mary in a Martha world! I think that's the title... but I've read it - and from what I remember it's actually pretty good... but then again I have a terrible book memory... But anywho, I think it's good. :o)