Sunday, December 03, 2006

Shake it, Shake it, shake it like a polaroid...

Please no more therapy
Mother take care of me
Piece me together with a
needle and thread
Wrap me in eiderdown
Lace from your wedding gown
Fold me and lay me down
On your bed...

("Polaroids", Shawn Colvin, off her 1992 release fat city)

I enjoy working Sundays at the library. I'm the only children's librarian, it's four hours, and people are doing homework, so they have interesting reference questions. But I am beyond BEAT! The sermon was undeniably one of John's best, but it took every inch of me to concentrate because I was so bone tired.

I had a chicken salad sandwich for dinner and now I'm having waffles and a beer. Then, bed. Because I have to be in White Hall by nine tomorrow! (That's South Hills--yes, in Pittsburgh, it takes over a half hour to go 13 miles....) (Not factoring in rush hour traffic...) I must really love being a children's librarian or something...

3 comments:

Paula said...

Geez, SL. I go away for a few days and you write and write and write. It's gonna take me a while to catch up! But I will:)

My float said...

I wanted to be a librarian when I was younger but then I realised I couldn't cope with people asking me stupid questions!!

You must be a saint.

I always find it's incredibly difficult to focus on something, no matter how much I want to hear/see/do it, when I'm exhausted. And yet often, this is when I have the best experiences. So I hope the sermon gave you lots of strength for the week ahead. (And the craziness that is Christmas, of course!)

Sarah Louise said...

PJ--I can't help it, it's like a compulsion with me...

MF--once you get past "where's the bathroom" the first 100 times you realize it's not that bad. I am *NOT* a saint.

and yes, weird as it is, I find that being exhausted somehow opens me up to the best things. It's like my focus is somewhere else so I get surprised...

my vw is omigz: omigosh!