Friday, December 22, 2006

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.

(Oscar Wilde)

I don't really keep a diary anymore. But I do carry a notebook in my purse, and it came in handy this morning when I found myself at the chiropractor's with nary a book in my hand and no interesting magazines.

I mostly use my notebook to write quotes I like and sermon notes.

Some quotes I like:

This book is about the songs my friends and I are singing. (p. 239, Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller)

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way. (p. ix, BLJ)

This is a verse that Beth Moore highlighted for us in our Patriarchs Bible study:

I am your shield. I am your very great reward. (Genesis 15:1, NIV) A friend was going through a hard time and I text messaged that to her right away.

Notes on the next page:

how can I?
God took him outside.
2nd mention of stars in the Bible.
Count them if you can.

This is of course, Abraham asking God, how can I have a child at my late age and God saying, watch me!!

From The Myth of You and Me (which I wanted to like, but in the end could not)
"While my friends went to high school together, I was set adrift again with noone but my family, three passengers on a dirt sea." (p. 19)

I have notes from Doug Pagit's talk on the Emergent Church--here's something I want to read more about: Dow Chemical working with Earth First. "We will work with anyone who wants to work with us and that doesn't mean we won't critique what they do with the water." It's a quote I think from Earth First that DP got off NPR.org.

He talked here about collaborative vs. competive and I brought up the Union Station Cafe and Tazza D'Oro. The UP is run by Mennonites--so DP countered, "what, are the Moravians next, in cutting edge?" I looked at Moravian College but in the end did not apply. It was one of the Allentown/Bethlehem college visits. What I remember most about the whole trip was that my hostess at Muhlenberg had Mademoiselle magazine, which I read, and that her roommate was having an affair with a professor.

More notes:

God initiates all relationships (also Beth Moore.)

I just got offered a chance to leave early. I'll clean this up later.

Merry Christmas, All!!

4 comments:

Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

Merry Christmas, SL!!!

Amy A. said...

Yay! Home early. Enjoy.

Paula said...

Merry Christmas SL!

Amy said...

I love finding little notes and scribbles eons later. It's like trying to recapture a creative moment in your life, or a "lightbulb" moment. So fun!!