Thursday, December 14, 2006

I'm not much of a cook, but my take-out skills are top-notch. (Kathy Shaksan)

So, contrary to popular belief, I do cook. So, a recipe. Bon apetit!

Sarah Louise's Strata (for the Children's Department Lunch)

Prep time: 30 minutes.
Sit time: 1 hr to 12 hrs.
Cook time: 45 minutes.

Ingredients:

Bread
6 Eggs
2 cups of milk. Whole is best, but I've used skim.
6 slices of cheese--your choice (I used American this time)
an onion, or a frozen vegetable of your choice (I used spinach this time, but often use broccoli)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
oregano
parsley flakes
sage
mustard or mustard powder
margarine

You want an 11x13 baking pan. Lay the bread in two layers. You want the bread to be "stale" which can be speeded up by putting the bread in the oven on warm for about 20 minutes.

Did you know that if you slam two eggs together only one will crack?

After you "stale" the bread, you want to take it out of the pan so that it can be slathered with margarine so that the strata doesn't stick when it's baked.

So mix the eggs and the milk and the spices.

Lay out the bread on the bottom of the pan. Layer the slices of cheese, then layer the vegetable. Cover with the second layer of bread. Pour on the egg mixture. If there is some bread that doesn't get moistened with egg, pour milk on top.

Cover the pan with foil and put in the fridge for at least an hour, up to 12 hours.

Bake for about 45 min at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. The look you want is "golden brown."

Cut, eat, enjoy. Serves about 6, depending on how big you make the pieces.

This recipe is a Sarah Louise version of "Crustless Quiche" in The Kitchen Survival Guide by Lora Brody.

2 comments:

MsCellania said...

Hey! I'm snagging this for the Winter Social that oldest is hosting next week!

POIFECT!

Sarah Louise said...

I'm so proud! I handed out two copies of a modified version of this to my co-workers who clamored for a recipe after lunch.

The original recipe is more fuss, but I'm all about EASY and QUICK.

Which is why I won't be gettting the vw on the first try I'm thinking...