Monday, March 13, 2006

Why teach drawing to accountants?

Because drawing class doesn't just teach people to draw. It teaches them to be more observant. There's no company on earth that wouldn't benefit from having people become more observant. — Randy S. Nelson (dean of Pixar University)

This one should be called: Sarah Louise talks about blogging and in the process, everything she finds cool about the Internet entire. (But don't be intimidated by the title, folks, it's just me!)

So why blog? Even though *I* think Babelbabe is the closest thing to the homegrown success story, most of my friends at the OD think I'm the "amazing blogger" and ask me how I do it. I am always very modest (duh!) and say, "I'm a writer, it's like breathing for me."

Well, I spent all of yesterday afternoon arranging the "required" post, and it took me an hour to figure out that I couldn't successfully crop Thursday's picture with the photo software I now own. So it's got to be more than "I'm a writer."

See, I've gone off topic again. I do that a lot. Okay, so why do I blog? Some of it is intensely infantile: I want people to like me. I want Babelbabe to think I'm cool. I love comments, because it's like someone read what I wrote and it connected with them. (Um, actually, that's exactly what it is.) I live an altogether too solitary life. Writing is like that. But blogging is communal, so I get to be solitary and then communal. Am I making sense?

Plus, then I google stuff and stumble on other people's blogs, some of which are amazing. I get intimidated again (Gotta stop that!) and then just plain curious. I could spend (and do!) hours just blog-hopping. I mean, aren't you intrigued by what a naked street could be?

Blogging is where I get to practice my digi camera skills, my html (yes, I actually coded some of the "required" post in the "edit" mode), and my writing. It is a respectable hobby for a librarian, and a great way to meet Christians all over the world. (When I first started blogging, John told me that Alyssa said that Christians are the largest population of bloggers.) (Yeah, I haven't been able to find that statistic anywhere yet.) And my brother, a graduate of Hope College, said that some guy from Hope was a pioneer in blogging. (Yeah, haven't found that article from Newsweek or Time? either.)

What was I talking about? Oh right, blogging. Sorry, got distracted--there is major stuff going on in regards to the Pens getting a new arena. (And they WON last night!!!!)

But really, what I need is a bike. (That flight of fancy took about 15 minutes...) There's this bike shop at Construction Junction where you can work towards a bike. That sounds like my kind of plan! (Similar to what the UP is doing to get stained glass--and yes, Dad will be here taking a class while I'm in Baaaaston.) (I'll take the class in June.)

Okay, but I really sat down to talk about blogging (see how I get distracted?). So here are a few sites that I have found helpful when I get blocked. And blogging...should be fun, otherwise why do it?

  • 52 Projects (This site is full of creative whatever.) This contest looks cool...
  • Slacker Manager (this is actually a hint to me to get Marian to teach me about de.li.ci.o.s (or however it is spelled) My blog is so self-serving--so sue me!
  • The perfect conference (this list has just changed into "Stuff I find that's cool while I look for stuff on blogs")

Oh, I just got it! Blogging is what I do to procrastinate from everything else in my life! Don't want to do the dishes? Blog a post! Don't want to do Assignment #7 (talk about intimidating)? Blog awhile!

WEEK 7:
What is your heart’s desire? What is the one thing you want to do but are being blocked from doing? Who or what is blocking you? What would it take to accomplish your desire? Think about having a dialogue with yourself; think about using your ‘weak’ hand to write part of that dialogue. What would happen if you did accomplish your heart’s desire?

Yes, folks, we have come to the root reason Sarah Louise blogs: because it looks better than all the other stuff I have to do.

Hope that helps...

6 comments:

Joke said...

I like that opening quote, a LOT. It reminds me why I tell people to read Sherlock Holmes stories & novels. Because being observant is like peeling off layers of cruddy film from your eyes.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

...and I have no clue what the google was that got me there...oh, there it is..."quotes why" I figured I'd get a stupid RFK quote and found this absolute gem.

SL, who could use a few cruddy layers peeled off her eyes...

Joke said...

I'm so adamant about Sherlock Holmes I tell people it's the best way to learn to read the Bible. Then they look at me like I'm a candidate for the Disoriented Express.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

You, my friend, are the last person I'd put on the Disoriented Express. I think I'll have to start to read Sherlock Holmes now. Is it on your required?

Joke said...

Why...yes! Yes it is! It's filed under "continuing education." You can even read them online:

http://www.sherlockian.net/canon/index.html

...and thus pretend to do work. Read them in chronological order.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

okay, I think I will try to find the books, b/c I can't stare at a screen for 71 pages. Thanks for the link, though.