Sunday, March 05, 2006

Random thoughts at 4 am, coughing and wheezing...

I love my dad. I told him that watching the new Pink Panther was good as a place holder, something to do so that I wouldn't be tempted to take a nap before I went out to see This Side of Eve and Bill Malonee (which were great, btw). My dad told me about one time when he was in Amsterdam in 1963. He was there on a summer school program that was based in Vienna. It was raining, so he ducked into a movie theatre. A friend of his had had the same idea and was sitting in the (assigned) seat next to him! (This reminds me of my friend Susan's mom telling about going to the movies in the summer to escape the heat and enjoy a few hours of a/c.)

Now, I realize this story has much more significance to me, since I know that Pete Steckedee (the friend my dad mentioned) is one of the main players in encouraging my dad to pursue my mom even in 1966, and still a friend, almost forty years later. But it's my blog and it's 4 am and I am sick of being negative and cough-y, so I just wanted to share something very cool to me. It's my blog and I can!

My dad and I talk about things like movies, the New York Times most emailed list, and particularly last night, about Polish history and how it relates to our last name (my actual, non-blog last name, is also the name of the man who was diplomat to August der Stark (the Strong), in the 1700s. August was king/ruler of Prussia, Poland, and Germany and Krystof was one of his main diplomats.) When my dad worked in Poland (as a diplomat for the U.S.) and folks at the Polish Foriegn Ministry would stumble over the name, he would joke and say, "It's a great name in Polish diplomacy." Our venerated surname means the courageous bearded wielder of the broad axe. BJ said that should be the name of my blog, but I have to say that I am pleased that now you cannot get to my blog by googling my Christian name. I like the bit of anonymity using Sarah Louise offers me.

The writing assignment this week is "your name." Does it fit you, would you change it, etc. Personally, I look forward to the day when I get a shorter name that is hopefully higher in the alphabet. My brother can carry on the family name.

The man who told my dad about Krystof's role in Polish history actually did his dissertation on the role of Krystof in Polish history of the 1700s. How cool is that? And the Cathedral in Dresden that was just re-dedicated (it was bombed in WWII) was renovated using the original blue prints that were approved by Krystof.

What is that quote? "That favorite subject, myself?" It's true. I found yesterday at lunch that if conversation was lagging (we went out for a co-worker's birthday and if I'm with the ladies from work, the talk generally gravitates to grandchildren, children and husbands) I would bring attention to myself by telling a story. I thought later, geez, I am not a good listener. This is the danger of Lent, analyzing everything one does through different eyes.

But the gift of Lent is Easter (can you tell my brain is exhausted, as I segue randomly?) and I've been of late reading a book Lilly gave to me for my birthday, by Brother Lawrence. It reminds me to be gentle to myself. A quote:

That when an occasion of practicing some virtue offered, he addressed himself to God, saying, Lord, I cannot do this unless thou enablest me; and that then he received strength more than sufficient.

That when he had failed in his duty, he only confessed his fault, saying to God, I shall never do otherwise if You leave me to myself; 'tis You must hinder me from falling, and mend what is amiss. That after this, he gave himself no further uneasiness about it.

That we ought to act with God in the greatest simplicity, speaking to him frankly and plainly, and imploring His assistance in our affairs, just as they happen. That God never failed to grant it, as he had often experienced.

--from The Practice of the Prescence of God by Brother Lawrence

Playing right now on the radio: "Who do that voo-doo that only you can do?" I love the radio!! The other day they played "The Girl from Ipanema," a family favorite. We have long history in Brazil, which I may bore you with later. But now it is almost 5:30 am and I think I'll try a little more shut-eye in the room where the vaporizor lives.

Ta!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Praying good health for you...

--erica said...

"tall and tan and young and handsome, the boy from Ipanema goes dancin'..."

--one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."