Friday, March 03, 2006

The Devil was a crafty fellow. That's why I don't do crafts.

(Nancy Brom)

I, however, adore crafts!! Loretta has asked us to list childhood craft endeavors (like eating paste.) List Friday, courtesy of Pomegranates and Paper.
  • I remember scraping the sides of crayons with scissors to get crayon bits which my mom and I would then iron between two pieces of wax paper. It gave a sort of stained glass effect.
  • I remember doing the same thing with crayons and putting them in clear plastic cups and putting them in the oven. I have a Christmas ornament made in this manner.

(I think my mom liked scraping crayons and using wax paper--I have very vivid memories of this)

  • In high school, we all would use embroidery floss to make friendship bracelets. It was customary to pin the bracelet you were working on to your jeans while you worked on it.
  • As an avid reader of Mary Norton's series, The Borrowers, I made "dollhouse" furniture for my "dollhouse" (which was really a pine bookcase that had four compartments.) I used a lot of Kleenex boxes...
  • I made some of those potholders that you use a metal square and cloth bands...
  • I had a spiro-graph
  • I took a pottery class. I think my mom still has some of the things I made...

Oh! Once, for Mother's day, I think this was in Sunday School, we made necklaces out of cut potatoes. (Could that be right?) My mom still has hers. It's purple.

There's tons of other stuff--although I don't think I ever ate paste...

3 comments:

Erin said...

I LOVED my spirograph, but often got over-excited, went too fast, and spun my pen right out of the whole... kinda wrecking the design.

I didn't eat paste either, but a kid in my class ate erasers. Ewww.

Joke said...

Have you guys seen the VH1 series on "I Love Toys?"

I am mesmerized by the TV like I have never been before.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

I don't get cable, Joke, darling. But if I did, I'm sure I'd be mesmerized too.