Sunday, March 12, 2006

The one where Sarah Louise loves Friends

Okay, let's talk about the theme song. Every show has got to have a great theme song. Even the bad shows had good theme songs. I will never forget the theme song, for instance, to WKRP in Cinncinati.

Ross: Hi.
Joey: This guy says hello, I want to kill myself.

***

Chandler: Sometimes I wish I was a lesbian (looks around) Did I say that out loud?

***

Ross: I don't want to be single, I just want to be married again.
(enter Rachel, in her wedding dress)
Chandler: And I want a million dollars.

Monica: So do you want to tell us now or are we waiting for four wet bridesmaids?

***

Chandler: Oh, this is a "Dear Diary" moment!

***

Phoebe: Oh, I wish I could, but I don't want to. (when asked if she wants to help Ross and Chandler and Joey put together Ross's new furniture)

***

Monica: Welcome to the real world! It sucks. You're going to love it.

I mean, this stuff is great!

It's raining in Pittsburgh. (Big surprise--it's March!) I went to bed last night after watching The Baxter and talking to Emily, who got cut off when her phone died. At least she warned me. I was telling Emily about my myriad of girlfriends who totally intimidate me.

This is why for two years I didn't have girlfriends, I had books. I didn't talk to anyone at recess, lunch, or after school. I didn't do my math homework. I read. I spent time with Jennifer, Hecate, Mandy, Anne, and if I had known Angeline, I would have hung out with her too. I dreamed about hiding my trumpet in the blanket at the end of the bed and sleeping in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Girlfriends can be a really bad scene. Like when they tell your crush you like them and then move to China, (yes, on the same day) where you can't even yell at her! I heard John Lennon's song Imagine that day and have hated it since. I also watched a stupid black and white movie about co-eds and frat parties, dubbed over in Spanish, I think.

But I'm 34, not 10, and I think I'll keep my friends. And my books. So I get to be a grown-up and have friends AND books. But hey, I get to be a librarian and misinform people (like telling them we only have the textbooks through grade 5 and then hanging up on a woman who had been TRANSFERRED to me via my boss, the director, walking over and realizing, oh, look, we do have them until grade 6) (Will they make up their mind? Does middle school begin at 6th grade or 7th?) Junior high, we all know, started at grade 7. But in some instances it ends at 8th grade or in others 9th. I'm rambling. Or babbling. Or both.

It's still raining. Still Pittsburgh. And my girlfriends still intimidate me. So you can guess that I'm thrilled to be attending the first brunch for the women at the Open Door at the Quiet Storm. It'll be fine. They'll still all be married, or med students, and I'll try not to be that little girl whose heart got stomped on by another little girl 23 years ago.

Oh, and Babs, I didn't use quotation marks! I did it for you. I did.

3 comments:

blackbird said...

and the thing about Friends, when I think about it or am caught watching it, is...
it is funny all the time.

the biggest joke, of course, are their apartments.

Sarah Louise said...

The only time Friends is not funny is when I'm at my parent's house and my dad says, "And there is some redeeming literary value to this?"

I watched almost the whole first season today...I adore the one where Chandler is stuck in the ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre. His inner dialogue is priceless! Hmm, I have some time before Crossing Jordan, I bet I could catch some more Friends...plus, the DVDs are uncut and some of the stuff that that's there is great!!

Although right now there is this amazing version of "Stand by Me" on the radio.

Joke said...

And!

To top it all off...the "Friends" cookbook is actually a REALLY GOOD COOKBOOK.

-J.