Saturday, October 06, 2007

Open Letters

To the parents of the child who says "Can we get this book/video/game?" and the response is, "But you got that one already, why don't you get a different one?":

Children NEED repetition. It makes them feel safe, and they LIKE it. Let them take it out again! Let them watch it again! Read it again! It will not stop them from growing or learning new things, I promise.

yours,

Quiet Librarian, whose name was the only one, eleven times, on Julie Edward's Mandy in elementary school.

********

To the publishing world,

Will you hurry up and publish some more horse books? I have a fourth grade patron, Anita, who has read EVERY book out there.

yours,

Exasperated Librarian, who is falling in love with this exasperating patron. Yes, she owns Seabiscuit, has read Black Beauty 23 times, the Black Stallions, and all of Marguerite Henry.

********

To the weather,

Yes, it's nice to have warm sunny days in October. But I just want to play hooky--so can you make it rain?

yours,

Wanting to leave work on a Sunny Saturday Librarian (It doesn't help that I'm the only person in my particular office and my boss just called to say she's not coming in, she's going to play card games with her visiting daughter and son-in-law.)

********

Dear God,

Thank you that I have the frivolity to wish for these things. Thank you that right now for this moment in time, we are happy, healthy, and where we need to be.

Your fidgety child.

4 comments:

KitchenKiki said...

To quote my oh-so-adorable niece when she was just a toddler (she is a big girl now, ya know. *sniff*)

ehGEN!

the wheels on that bus kept going round & round & round. I was making up verses like you wouldn't believe. (Oh, the Auntie's on the bus say "Poor me more"...)

PS. The word verification is "hwrdpsex" I'm not sure that is allowed in post that begins with children's books

Katy said...

Dear SL,

Thank you for that last one especially. Also, can you please use your super librarian skills to find the answer to this questions:

"Do sheep bite?"

Love,
Katy

Sarah Louise said...

KK--you make me smile.

Katy--yes, they sure do.

SL

Lizzy said...

RE: Horse Books and 4th Graders
I would recommend The Red Pony, all of the old Saddle Club series (hokey I know, but horse books are horse books. I read all of them and still turned out cynical and ironic.) and Where the Red Fern Grows (not horsey, but animal related and wonderful. I loved it.) I would also suggest The Encyclopedia of the Horse (Yes, it is an encyclopedia. But I found it fascinating at that age.)

If you still need more, let me know, I can try to remember more.

Yours Truly,
A Professional Horse Trainer (who also used to be a 4th grade voracious reader)