Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"and when October goes..." *

Oh am I ever so glad to see this month out the door and say, "buh-bye!"

Next year I plan to take a vacation in October to combat its vileness. But this year, I merely say, "Good riddance, scram, and ciao!"

I feel the depression lifting off my shoulders as I think about my upcoming birthday (which I pretty much celebrate the whole month of November), and the holiday season. Having worked "retail Christmas" for 7 years, I get a thrill when the holidays come...

But two articles on Beliefnet.com spoke to me today. One, by Tony Campolo, talks about how Christians need to pay attention to depression, not just say, pray and it will be better. Another, "Halloween Blues" speaks to tomorrow, and fleshes out why I have plans already to spend Halloween with a friend. As a single woman without children, Halloween can be worse than Valentine's Day, because most women married or single have issues with VD. But if you have a child in your life, you will be giving out candy or dressing them up. I do not want to be someone's mom today, or tomorrow. Thanks but no thanks. But Halloween stands as an undeniable reminder that I am not in that particular "club."

I thought I had more, but I guess not. I will rejoice, tomorrow, in ushering out the month that begins with the letter O.

______________________
*Barry Manilow/Johnny Mercer

6 comments:

Erin said...

I think most everyone has an issue with VD... ;)

KitchenKiki said...

I am going into hiding tomorrow. I'll turn off most of the lights and curl up with "Happy Feet" & my knitting.

either that or wander over to the bar. They had their Halloweenie party last Saturday. Whats-his-face has school tomorrow.

Badger said...

I actually liked Halloween a whole lot more BEFORE I had kids. Is that weird?

Iamthebookworm said...

I like Halloween, and I am one of those single women. I like to watch horror movies and pass out candy to the little monsters in my neighborhood.

Caro said...

Yeah, I'm with Badger. It was more fun when I was the one who got to dress up.

Caro said...

And come to think of it Christmas was more fun when I was the one who got most of the presents.