Thursday, July 05, 2007

In which Sarah Louise eschews thoughts of her vacation in favor of talking about books...

Yes, I promise more vackay pics to come. But as I am at work, manning (womanning) the Summer Reading desk, I thought it more apropos to write about books.

Kids books I am loving:

Ramona and her mother (Beverly Cleary). I somehow read most of B. Cleary but never Ramona! This year my intent was to do Ramona's World for the Mother Daughter book club, since it starts at the beginning of fourth grade (and the MD club is for fourth and fifth grade girls) but somehow I transposed the titles and so all the publicity went out saying Ramona Forever, where Ramona is in third grade and a flower girl in a wedding. Ramona is soon becoming one of my favorite literary heroines.

I just finished Ramona and her Mother, where Ramona wants to be her "mother's girl." It's one of the books for the Mother Child Smackdown, which seemed like a good idea--a quiz show format highlighting 8 books, but now it's like those 8 books are all I'm allowed to read until I come up with enough questions...

The chapter books:
Sarah Plain and Tall by Patty MacLachlan
Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers (the audio is FANTASTIC)
Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay (I'm actually getting tired of this wonderful book. It truly is wonderful.)
Ramona and her mother (see above)
The School Story by Andrew Clements (LOVE LOVE this book. Clements is a master. Haven't read Frindle yet, it's next on my list.)

The picture books:
A Chair for my mother by Vera B. Williams
My mama had a dancing heart by Libba M. Gray
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey.

I have decided to not do "quiz" questions for My mama had a dancing heart as it would ruin the book, kind of like when I had to do vocabulary words for A Wrinkle in Time in 7th grade. I couldn't read AWIT for seven years after that soul carving experience.

So far I have three teams signed up. I need to get prizes together n'at. It's a good challenge but I won't really know if it's worth it until after all is said and done, next Saturday (which happens to also be Bastille Day.)

**************

In other news, we (the rents and moi) went to see the movie Paris J'te Aime--WOW! It seemed a little longer than two hours, it was hard to keep track of how many vignettes we'd seen, but they were all wonderful (well, Elijah Wood as vampire was my least favorite). I especially loved the last one, in which the American mail carrier fell in love with Paris. It reminded me of Carrie's love affair with New York City and how New York is the fifth character in "Sex and the City."

MTC,

Sarah Louise

7 comments:

Paula said...

Hey SL?

Tag!

http://mixedwithsugar.blogspot.com/2007/07/where-memes-are.html

KitchenKiki said...

So what books do you recommend for little girls about to start 1st grade.
I know 2, one of them is my oh-so-adorable-niece-with-a-summer-birthday
and the other is the daughter of a dear friend who lets me hang out with her in the Poconos

Caro said...

Kid's books are fun.

nutmeg said...

OK. You've completely sold me on Beverly Cleary. I'm off to the bookdepository.co.uk to check out her titles. I love the sound of the Ramona books and a mother-daughter bookclub.

Badger said...

My boy child went on an Andrew Clements jag in fifth grade and read (and loved!) a bunch of his books. I think Frindle and The Janitor's Boy were his favorites.

My about-to-be-a-fourth-grader girl child is all about Judy Moody these days. Sigh. I really should get her some Ramona.

Sarah Louise said...

Have not read Judy Moody. But the author was a shelver eons ago at the library where I now work. But she lives in California.

Ramona rocks!!

Anonymous said...

Daniel Pinkwater books are great for boys.... and girls too.