Thursday, January 04, 2007

More of the kinds of conversations we have...

Raise your hands if you've seen The Christmas Story. Okay, put them down if you've only seen it once. Twice? Okay, Polly, how many times have you seen it? Wow, that's a lot. Well, let me tell you about me and my mom.

Christmas movies we are familiar with: It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, and Home Alone. Yeah. Oh, and Amahl and the Night Visitors. We have it on Beta. Yes, that was way before DVDs, Polly.

I have seen The Christmas Story once. Yes, and it was five years ago, when I was in Library School. So now I know about the pink bunny suit and the tongue on the icy pole and the leg lamp. Ah yes, the leg lamp. Which brings us to my mother and I on the phone the other day. We were talking about the Today show.

Mom: So what do you think of Katie's replacement?
Me: Meredith? I like her. I wasn't sure, but then I saw her on Leno and she has a real strange sense of humor. She used to be on the View, not that I ever watch that show. [I only get NBC and Fox.]
Mom: (hesitates) It was her birthday the other day, and it was also Matt's birthday. She took the day off, but she was in the audience, wearing a black wig. And she gave Matt a plastic leg. (You could tell my mom was puzzled and a little not pleased.)
Me: ah, was it a lamp?
Mom: yeah, I think it was.
Me: Mom, it's from that movie, The Christmas Story. The husband/dad wins the top sales prize and in the mail gets a wooden crate that says FRAGILE and in it is a lamp shaped like a leg. The mom is not too pleased.
Mom: oh, yeah, the lamp came in a wooden crate on the Today show, too. I thought that was a little weird.

See? This is what happens when you don't keep up with popular culture. You don't like Meredith, who is really a funny lady and a sweetheart, to boot.

I've never seen an episode of "Welcome Home, Kotter," either.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I saw The Christmas Story once and I want that time back. It's just not for me. I haven't seen many of the traditionaly Christmas movies, though. I'm okay with not knowing some of the pop culture stuff.

Sarah Louise said...

Yeah--I think it's good to use judgement when choosing what we expose ourselves to--living IN the world, yes, but not OF the world.

There are a lot of movies I'll never watch that others adore, and vice versa. I'm grateful that we live in a time where there is so much to choose from. I'm grateful that I can exercise my choosing muscles and choose NOT to view some things.

Paula said...

I'd say you're not missing much by not seeing Welcome Back Kotter.

~ej said...

we were just talking about this movie the other weekend at my ILs house. i do NOT get this movie. i've seen it thru at least once, bits and pieces at other times. maybe it's one of those things you just get or don't (like seinfeld).
i do not like meredith on the today show. i DO like meredith. i won't go into my views on the view. i miss katie. i haven't seen katie on her new gig tho. is she any good?
i don't do change well, lol!

Sarah Louise said...

Well, I've only seen Meredith on the Today show, and the once on the Leno show. I have seen the View like once, four years ago, when my TV still got stations besides NBC and FOX.

I miss Katie, yes, but she LEFT. She was not fired, she took the other position and left. And since (see above) I don't get CBS, I haven't seen what Katie looks like in her new gig.

Anyways, I really like the Today show, so I can't let Katie's leaving mess it up.

Wow, I must be procrastinating or something. Yep...

Amy A. said...

Ladies, ladies, ladies. A Christmas Story is FABULOUS! The narrarator alone is worth the price of admission.

I think because our family discovered it the first year is was made and have watched it every year since is why we love it so much. Tradition, ya know. Plus, it's really funny. Y'all need to come watch it with us.

But see, difference is what makes the world go 'round. I know you love me anyways! :)

Sarah Louise said...

This is what I love about blogging...and yes, I'm procrastinating again.

Sarah Louise said...

Paula, your profile shows!