Monday, January 22, 2007

Who should you root for? Superbowl XLI tips

Okay, so your team didn't make the cut. Here's a quiz that will help you decide who to root for.

I'm fairly football illiterate, but here's why I'm glad I'm supporting the Bears:

  • The Colts left Baltimore in the middle of the night to go to Indianapolis. Although I was a born Redskins fan (born on a game day, they beat the Buffalo Bills, I think) Baltimore is pretty close to D.C. and we were all apalled.
  • I love Chicago--it is a beautiful city and lots of nice people live there (including Katy).
  • I still remember the year the Bears went to the Superbowl and they had a rap that even played on M-tv (you know, back when M-tv played music--that is the "M" in M-tv.) That was the year they played the Patriots and the Patriots came up with a song, but um, it was sort of lame and clearly reactionary only to the Bears' song (sorry Amy).
I find it interesting (not surprising, just interesting) that I've heard more news about the Steeler's choice of new head coach Mike Tomlin than the fact that Pittsburgh may be losing major bus routes...

10 bus and 2T routes carry 37% of riders (Post-Gazette article, 1/21/07)

Full house expected for first transit hearings (Post-Gazette article 1/21/07) (Bonus feature: a chart of the Top Ten buses)

Port Authority Hearings Scheduled (Post-Gazette article 1/22/07) I have never been to a public hearing, and hello, my apartment is in dire straits, but I think I will try to go to the hearing in Oakland today from 4-8 pm.

I don't currently ride the bus, and the bus routes I would ride are not under the axe, but buses are the lifeblood for a lot of Pittsburghers and I need to learn more about the political process.

I think if anything, as I read what I write here, that I am my own selfish pig, living the posh life in my Highland Park garret.

I imagine I'll take snacks, a water bottle, and possibly a pillow--who knows what kind of chairs they'll offer for sitting for 4 hours...yikes. Stay tuned to see if I chicken out on this one...I think my neighbor on the first floor (a fine upstanding young man who makes his living by teaching piano lessons) went to the hearings this morning...

And, yes, I'll take the bus. C'mon, who drives to Oakland if they don't have to? Parking there is a zoo. And the 71A runs about every ten minutes.

Okay, so that means I better get a move on the rest of the stuff I was planning to do today...

Flip the laundry--then...I seriously need to go to the Post Office. But sitting here, telling you, dear internets, what I'm doing today doesn't help me get any further down the road of getting stuff done...I hereby stop procrasinating.

5 comments:

Paula said...

Okay, this is what I read,
Superbowl blah, blah, blah.

I'm soooo glad Dale doesn't watch football or much of any other sport but Nascar and I like nascar too so thats fine.

Caro said...

Paula is funny, isn't she?

Sandy Stover said...

I have yet to figure out how I'm going to get to work when the cute the 500 and the times of the 71a...

Sarah Louise said...

Nascar? You are full of surprises, Miss P!

Caro--yes, she's a stitch.

Sandy--they're not voting on the cuts until March. There were a lot of smart people at the hearings. We need to fight this. More on this later...

Amy said...

I lived in Illinois back in the days of the "Superbowl Shuffle" and remember it vividly. I wasn't a football fan then, but I did get to try on a replica class ring the size of the 'Fridge's finger (Refrigerator Perry) - it was a size 23!! Anywho - I'm cheering for the Bears. But that assumes I'll actually be watching the game.

And NASCAR needs to hurry up and get here.