Monday, January 22, 2007

Insomnia, thy name is "three hour nap."

So I went out Friday night. And I went out Saturday night. And I worked all of Saturday. And so my introvert sirens were on Alert! Alert! So today, when I came home from Tazza, I planned to watch "Joy Luck Club" on video. Um, I took a nap on the sofa and woke up while the credits were rolling. So maybe it was a two hour nap.

Anyways, when I woke up, I was at an EXTREMELY low point.

(If you've seen The Holiday, you might catch the reference:

Iris
: Lowpoint!)

So low that I couldn't even reach out to anyone except to try to call my 'rents, who weren't home. I couldn't believe that anything good was coming of anything I'd been working on. (Of course, forgetting that the things I was most worried about are things OUT OF MY CONTROL.)

And all that sleeping did nothing to the laundry and clutter, which has of course, creeped back to haunt my every move. (Except that it IS Sunday, and my first day off in five days, so I think a little grace is allowed.)

Balance, how badly I need that. But I went to church, heavy as my heart was. And I stood up front and gave an affirmation of faith, which was a paragraph of cobbled together verses on how God looks out for the poor, and we should too.

The Beatitudes really speak to me when I'm at low points, and so does worship. The joy came back as we sang "Days of Elijah," "Oh for a thousand tongues," and one of my favorites, "Did you feel the mountains tremble?"

*************

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. (Matthew 5:3-11, King James Version, Public Domain)


I feel like I am the queen of mourning, sometimes, so it thrills me to no end to know that I will be comforted. And that I am comforted. My friends buoy me up and remind me of the goodness of life. I was very discouraged when I got to church. I had to scrape my car and refill my windshield wiper fluid halfway to church (less than a mile from where I live!!). But I got hugs and got to see folks I hadn't seen in a while. And after church we went to the Sharp Edge and talked about books, and teased people and debated what had been discussed in the "Message" portion: not exactly a sermon, but an infomercial for Jubilee, a debt-forgiveness program. It was so good to know that I wasn't the only one that had questions. At 10:20, I left, as Crossing Jordan had started at 10 pm.

And so I've been trolling all y'alls blogs, and finding interesting stuff. Oh, and played a few games of Free Cell. I think I'm tired enough to attempt to go to sleep now. G'nite.

He will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love, he will exult over you with loud singing as on a day of festival. Zephaniah 3:17-18, RSV.

2 comments:

Amy said...

There are so many days when I drag myself out of bed to go to church or work or some other "obligation" as it feels in those moments only to come home feeling refreshed and invigorated. Sometimes not, but it's not always the place or the event, but often the people.

Amy A. said...

Me too. Sometimes the meeting I least want to go to is the one I most need to attend.

Sorry about your crummy nap!