Saturday, July 01, 2006

Catch up (not Heinz 57)

Coming soon: Born on the Fourth of July—List Friday (To be Posted later)

In this post and to be posted on later: Random thoughts on Friday: N’Orleans, Elevators, and Humming Hymns.

One morning this week, upon waking, I started humming “Here I raise my Ebenezer” which is the second verse of “Come Thou Fount…” Last night at the Sharp Edge, Babs and I were discussing what posts we had on the back burner. I said, a shoe post, of course (here’s hers), and the up to three meme from Bookhart. And a paragraph so far on this old hymn, “Come thou Fount.” Oh, she says, I have that Easter one in my head right now, the one that goes “A-hhh-le-luia.” So then we both try to hum, “Come thou Fount” and fail miserably. I finally get it going. Yes, so get the mental image of two tired librarians, with our Yuenglings, hungry as ever, humming hymns at the Sharp Edge.

I like the idea of an Ebenezer, a rock that one places because “God has helped us.” In the Old Testament, the Patriarchs (Abraham and his dudes) were forever placing rocks and calling a place “Beth-el” or “Ebenezer” or what have you, after God did some amazing thing. It was a visible reminder to them, and I guess to anyone who stopped by. I guess the modern equivalent would be memorials—like the Vietnam Memorial, or the Civil Rights Memorial which my dad visited after he was done conventioneering with the Presbyterians in Birmingham last week. Except that those all seem to be memorials to deaths or cataclysmic events. I’m just rambling here…

So today is the first day back for my boss, the Storytelling Lady. She went to N’Orleans for the mother of all Library conferences. She is full of stories of how Bourbon Street was so packed that in order to stay with her husband she had to either hold his hand or his belt loops.

******

Yes, it is now Saturday. I could write more (and aren't YOU curious why I'd be writing about elevators--how do you keep a turkey in suspense? I'll tell you tomorrow.)

But I just wanted to get something up--it's my one compulsion, post daily! (Not that I expect others to, it's just that I sometimes feel like I have so much to say and y'all are my captive audience.) And I'm addicted to comments. Hi, I'm Sarah Louise, and I'm a comment-aholic....

(Thanks for sharing, Sarah Louise.)

That said, I may or may not post tomorrow. I'm PLANNING a quiet Sunday (movie, lunch out) but my plans don't always come to fruition...

And I'm still not sure what Monday looks like--I generally have a therapy session in the North Hills (and then I sometimes go into work for an hour or so, to catchup) but my therapist is on vackay...so I may go to the pool with Babs & Co...who knows. This is the first year in ages that the 'rents haven't come up for the Fourth and there's a SLIGHT possibility that they still might come but my mom didn't have full details when we spoke last night. I miss my momma! Anywho, I'm starved (as here on the East Coast or Mid-Atlantic or Southwestern Pennsylvania time zone it is 24 past the meridian) so I'll sign off.


Going dahntahn to sing, and see two bands at the Regatta...
***this portion of the blog has been pre-empted by a small case of agoraphobia.***

Over and out, time for lunch!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Whatever you end up doing, hope it's fabulous :)