Saturday, July 08, 2006

My one regret--calendars I didn't buy

Watching, at the moment, Calendar Girls, which is based on a true story of Yorkshire women who bared their breasts to raise money for a decent sofa in the "relatives room" at the local hospital where one of the women had lost her husband to cancer.

In 1998, when the calendar came out, I was working at Fox Books and I was watching the pennies. So I didn't buy the calendar. And I don't even know how to do the e-Bay thing, but if any of you do, I really would like to get a copy.

My first year as a librarian, some librarians in England did the same thing. I was in email contact with someone but never was able to get one in the end.

One review likened it to another Brit flick, The Full Monty.

I am too tired to write a treastise or a compare contrast. I have cramps and I'm grumpy and I'd really like a nice rum and coke. Which I have half a mind to drive to the Holiday Inn to get.

The other half is writing this post.

I matriculated from Washington College, which resides on the Chester River in Kent County. We are famous for many things, including the Sophie Kerr award, a cash prize to the most promising senior writer. The prize last year was $53K.

One of the other things WC (or WAC as we call it affectionationetlly--and I'm sorry but I can't spell tonight.) is famous or infamous for is May Day. May Day is a tradition that was started by now retired professor Emeritus Bennett LaMond. Um, the tradition is to take your clothes off. The first year I was there, I did it only in the shower, thank you very much. The second year, I went to the Literary House party and later hung out with a few friends in the drama building. There are no pictures to memorialize this evening, only the ones I see in my mind. It takes quite a bit to get naked before someone you like, much less a bunch of people you see in classes every day. I never slid down the hills--they would hose down the hills and people slide down, naked as jaybirds.

I miss my friends from college. We didn't keep in touch for very long. I miss my friends from high school--I really only kept in touch with two of them and now they live far far away.

But tonight, I went to "Game Night" and all three of Sally's bridesmaids (myself included) were there. So we took a picture. Zack, Sally's husband, said we all looked younger than we did ten years ago. Whatever. He's a smooth talker...

Go hug someone. I'd give a dollar if I had someone to hug right now. Instead, I think I'll go spend my hard earned cash on a rum and Coke at the Holiday Inn. If I'm lucky, they'll be playing jazz.

5 comments:

Joke said...

I could totally stand a Rum & Coke (extra lime, please) right about now.

-J.

lazy cow said...

(((Hug))) (Is that how you do it?)

sara said...

Here's another hug:

*hug*

For free!

Hope you enjoyed that rum & coke and that they were playing John Coltrane.

MsCellania said...

Big warm HUGS to you, SL! And I like the May Day tradition at Washington College. Especially the sliding down the hill part. I hope someone scoured the hill for twigs and such!

Sarah Louise said...

Thanks guys!

J has now informed me the dif between a Cuba Libre (made WITH Lime) and a plain old R&C (which is what I had.)

They were not playing Jazz--it was baseball on the TV. But I got to look at the mural on the wall of jazz players and jazz venues in Pgh, some of which are now gone -- the Balcony, how we miss you!

I never thought about twigs on the hill--us literary types thought the "hill sliders" were beneath us, but now I think it would have been fun.

And thanks for all the hugs!!!

((((HUG)))) back at ya!