Wednesday, July 05, 2006

This isn't the movies--if we die, we're doing it for free--or Sarah Louise and the Elevator story

So the other day, I go to Bellefield Clinic, which is where I pick up some of my psych drugs (I'm in a study, and the study pays for two of the drugs I'm on.) I always take the elevator b/c the stairwell closest to the lobby requires a key.

(I didn't know about the side stairway...)

(But now I do, and will use it, often!)

So. I get there, and there's a Schindler guy in the one elevator, doing stuff. (Inspection day, the security guard tells me.) I go up to the eighth floor, b/c I wanted to get a phone number off a bulliten board for a study I might qualify for. (Right handed and bipolar--yep, c'est moi!) The elevators are full, what with only one in use.

So when I get to the ground floor, I stay in the elevator, even though it will now be going back up, and then I'll go to the lower level where the pharmacy is. Are you still with me? I rode up to 8, came to G, stayed on, went up to 4, picked up two guys, the elevator went up to 8 again. Not sure why it went to 8 again, but when we got there, the Schindler guy (inspector dude) was there, and he talked loudly into his walkie talkie.

We go back down. We get to G and the doors won't open.

Let's pause a moment. There were three of us in the elevator. Myself and two young men: a tall gangly man who could be of Lebanese descent and a short African American man. They were buddies and seemed to be in their early twenties. The gangly one was high strung and the short one was copasetic. I tend to become more calm the crazier others become. Oh, and by crazy I mean: "I'm claustrophobic," bellows high string gangly man. "I'm gonna sue them!" "I can't breathe!" and "This isn't the movies! This isn't f****ing Speed! If we die, we're doing it for free!"

My phone was the only one that had network, which we discovered when Babs calls me to let me know that at 10:30, she's going for her run now, so can we meet at 11?
"I'm stuck in an elevator," I say.
"Oh, what's that like?"
"I'll tell you later."

Gangly guy uses my phone to call his therapist to say he won't be able to make his appointment, he's stuck in the elevator. Then he uses my phone to call his dad, in case we're in here long enough that he'll be late picking up his son from day care.

"I'm stuck in an elevator. No, Father, I can't go up a floor. We're stuck!" He hung up after a few more minutes of this. But the father now had my cell number and so he called twice once we got out. "Sir, we are out of the elevator now, I'm sure your son's phone has network. Yes, we were really stuck in an elevator. For about twenty minutes, yes."

We talked to maintenance on the elevator phone--gangly guy hung up when he got put on hold. After 10 minutes, I pick up the elevator phone, and the chick that answers says, "Don't hang up, I'm going to put you throught to maintenance." I sat calmly on the elevator floor, while on hold, and all they could tell me when they got on was "We're working on it." Gangly guy kicked the doors, rang the alarm. Oh, it was a barrel of monkeys. I calmed him down a little by asking his son's name. Proud papa whipped out his wallet and I got to see a picture. Shortly after this, the elevator jolted, we went up a floor and got out on 2. So glad to be out, out, out!

The whole ordeal lasted about twenty minutes. That was enough drama for the day, so after I climbed the STAIRS down to the Lower Level to get my drugs, I drove over to Phipps Conservatory and walked in the free gardens outside and took some pictures. Then I drove to Tazza and met Babs and the boys and the babysitter for coffee. Too soon, it was time to go to work.

*********

Parking at Pitt RA metered lot for 15 minutes: 25 cents
Not getting a ticket after being inside Bellefield Clinic over 30 minutes: priceless.

Meds at Bellefield Clinic: free
Parking at Phipps, meter: 25 cents
Pictures at the Phipps outside garden: free
Lunch at Tazza (eggplant sandwich and green salad): about 7 bucks.
Being out of the elevator and in the open air: priceless.

6 comments:

Caro said...

I'm glad it was only twenty minutes although that probably felt like an hour!

Sarah Louise said...

Believe me, getting out of there was GREAT!

blackbird said...

WHEW!

Badger said...

Ack! I'm a bit claustrophobic, too, but I'd like to think I wouldn't go apesh*t if I got stuck in an elevator. But if someone in there WITH me did, I probably would, too. So kudos to you for keeping calm while gangly guy was spazzing out.

Paula said...

Ditto everyone else!

Amy A. said...

Quite an experience. Glad you got to have a nice lunch afterwards!