Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Every mind is a room packed with archaic furniture. (Dee Hock)

Poppy wants to see our most hideous piece of furniture. (Or was it least favorite?)

I am a bachlorette. Every piece in my apartment was purchased by or given to me. For better or worse. And they are all functional. I cram them into my garret until my mother says, "You fit anther bookcase in there?"

And what? I don't have the cash to upgrade, and even if I did, did I mention I live in a third floor WALK-UP? Most of my furniture is IKEA, handed down from my Aunt Margaret, picked up on the side of the road, Goodwill, or yard sale.

So. I took a picture of my hideous sofa. Which I adore. Which I have spent many memorable and not-so-memorable and oh-I-wish-I-could forget moments and nights. I generally have it covered, but that blanket is MIA at the moment, so you get to see its absolute plaid hideousnesss. When I leave this garret, it will stay, as it took two men at least a half hour to maneuver it up to the last flight of stairs. And they were engineers! It's a hide-a-bed that I inherited from my old roommate's fiance, now husband. It was free. All I had to do was borrow my girlfriend's boyfriend and his truck. I know it's butt-ugly, but I love it.



A tour? From bottom left, my newest pillow. I think I got it at Burlington Coat Factory. Bottom middle, if you squint, you can see the blue and white comforter my mother made for me when I was a girl. Bottom right, the comforter that used to belong to my grandmother. Moving up, top right, a collage that needs to be pinned up. And a Barbie dream car, with Barbie inside. A purse, a magazine ad I liked, and top left, the certificate that says a sea turtle has been adopted in my name. He's probably ten now!

A little trick, now that I've resigned myself to "small" pictures so as to not screw up my template, if you want a closer look, click on the photo and you get a larger size. The things you learn...

Show and tell, courtesy of Blackbird.

10 comments:

blackbird said...

So you love it?
But it's your least favorite?

I'm confused, but that's nothing new.

MsCellania said...

Hmmm, loved but least favorite? Sounds like somebody's child...

I got bug-eyed that you hauled a hide-a-bed up to a 3rd floor apartment! Actually, that you got not only one but two engineers to do this for you. YOu must've tied beer and food to the success of the mission.

I like your garret!

jenny said...

well, the pattern is something that's for sure ;) at least it has the whole senitmental value thing going for it.

Sarah Louise said...

Clarification: Poppy asked for least favorite. I don't have such. But I do have most hideous, see exhibit a, in zee picture. Sorry for the confusion.

Paula said...

Those are always the most comfortable;)

Amy said...

I am so amused that you live in a 'garret'. I know it's really a word, I just never hear anyone using it (it's also my brother's name!) It's so cute!!

Love your place!

Caterina said...

Lovin' the Burlington Coat Factory pillow. Nice. Oh, and the Barbie dream car :)

Sarah Louise said...

Well, thanks. I'm pretty much loving it here, too. (Except for a wee bit of insomnia, check the time stamp.)

Caro said...

The Barbie Car was my favorite part.

My house is decorated in toys also.

Sarah Louise said...

C-

Thanks! I almost moved it, when I took the pic, but I thought, it's me, so there! Before I moved to this apartment, I dated a guy who always had toys around, and I remember loving that about him, that he was such a child at heart. I have always wanted to have a pink car, so...

SL

and does anyone take it as a personal affront when their blog doesn't realize "hey, it's me, your creator, what do you mean, choose an identity?" Hee hee.