Friday, May 18, 2007

Well, maybe something to tide you over...

I GOT MY 5 YEAR PIN! Pictures later...

So DGB requests writing on books. I can do THAT at least.

I just stopped listening to a Maisie Dobbs mystery--it was getting too dark for my taste. But in the same sort (post WWI, British woman mystery) I have fallen in love with Daisy Dalrymple. So far I've only read the first (authored by Carola Dunn) but I highly recommend it, Death at Wentworth Court. Daisy is the daughter of a viscount but chooses to work, and her social standing offers her entree into places she might otherwise not have entree. (Note to self--you are very tired when you use entree twice in one sentence.) She works as a freelance writer, but like our girl on this side of the pond, Nancy Drew, seems to show up where things go amuck. There's also a cute investigator from Scotland Yard who (I read ahead on book jackets) becomes her fiance.

I just finished listening to Made to Stick. I don't exactly recommend/disrecommend it--is that even a word? It has a lot of stories, and that's the main reason I kept with it. The premise of the brothers who wrote it is that a story sticks far more than statistics--you remember the urban legend but forget to recycle your phone book. (Bad example, but I am TIRED!)

Tomorrow's Mother/Daughter is Tuck Everlasting--which I had forgotten how sinister it was. The movie matches fairly well, except that in the book, Winnie is ten, and in the movie she's at least fifteen, and there's a whole subplot of her going to finishing school and her parents are RICH. In the book, her parents may own the wood surrounding the cottage, but it's a cottage, not an estate, as it is in the movie. I do not want to make up fifteen questions if no one shows as has happened for the past two times. (Or was it just once?) I love this program but I am exhausted and wish I could have confirmation that my making up questions is not for naught.

I finally read the Newbery and am not sure why all the fuss on all accounts--why did it win? why all the fuss on account of the word scrotum? I read and LOVED Maybe Yes, Maybe No, Maybe Maybe, an earlier Patron (pronounce pa-trone, like drone) book, but The Higher Power of Lucky, well, eh...but I have to say that I don't know what other books were in the running for this year's award...

Let's see...inhaled Beth Moore's Get out of that Pit, but it has holds, so no time to re-read. I heart Beth Moore. Although at $13.85 (Amazon's price) I suppose I could buy it...

Which, btw, my 5 year pin came with a $5 dollar Border's Gift card, WOO HOO!!

I promised BJ when I bought Good to Great on CD I'd lend it to him--better get on that...

Meanwhile, I have the rest of Frasier to watch.

No comments: