Friday, February 24, 2006

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists of "Ten Best."

(H. Allen Smith)

Well, the folks at Pomegranates and Paper are trying something new: Lists on Friday. The list for this week is "Splendid Necessities for Travel." Hmm. Somehow I can't seem to make my list very interesting.

Okay: where do I want to go? The Vancouver Winter Olympics, 2010.

Movies to watch to prepare:

  • The Cutting Edge
  • The Ice Princess
  • Cool Runnings

People to talk to:

  • Travel Agent (to ballpark cost and logistics)
  • People that live near Vancouver, like in Seattle and stuff (I don't think any of my lurkers are from BC, but this would be the time to de-lurk yourself)
  • myself, so that I remember to start saving money.

Things to find out about:

  • Collecting Olympic pins (I hear this is all the rage when you go to the Olly's)
  • How do you buy the tickets for the events?
  • Learn how to speak Canadian (eh, skates, hoser, take off!!)

Things to take with:

  • digi camera (for when I spot...well, whoever it is that I want to spot. I don't think Emily Hughes will go to the 2010 Olly's, but if she did, that's who I'd want a picture of.)
  • extra batteries (my digi camera has a voracious appetite for these)
  • toiletries (toothbrush, hairdryer, meds, etc.)
  • Marvin, my teddy bear
  • My Bible, many other books and magazines...
  • My Disc-man (no, I do not have an ipod. No, I'm not ready to commit...)
  • CD's (duh!)
  • My cell phone (although I'd have to find out what the Canadian to US rates are)
  • My swimsuit (I love hotel pools!)

You know, it just occurred to me that I *am* going to be traveling splendidly in less that 30 days--to Baaaston! What a great chance to tell yins what I'm taking there.

  • All of the above, minus Marvin.
  • The Easy-Bake Oven Emily gave me for Christmas--I'm giving it to Susan's Sara. She really wants one, and everytime they see one and she squeals, "Mama, I want one," Susan says, "But honey, we *have* a toaster oven."
  • I would LOVE to borrow someone's laptop so I can blog while I'm at the conference, anyone?? (I might beg my dad's.)
  • My pink shoes, of course (ah, but which ones?)
  • Post earrings (I have learned to not travel with danglies--they come off if you fall asleep on the plane, for instance)
  • at least one notebook (preferably this one, which I buy at Barnes & Noble)

sidebar: I have spent at least 22 minutes trying to find the Miquelrius notebooks they sell at B&N, to no avail. I did find this fun site, though. Also this one: Pocketmod.com

You get the idea.

Songs for Splendid Travel:

  • Happy Trails to you, until we meet again...
  • Gentle on my mind
  • She'll be Coming Round the Mountain...
  • King of the Road

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I'm tempted to follow your outline and start a new meme. Where is Baaarston?

Anonymous said...

Oh, duh, never mind. Boston!
I just ate too many Junior Mints....

Loretta slinking back off into "duh land".

Sarah Louise said...

Ooooh--no, let it be my first meme ever! I adore Junior Mints. They remind me of high school when band members would sell them for $1 and you'd sit in Spanish, eating Junior Mints behind your book.