Wednesday, November 02, 2005

What's in store for November...

Well, it is finally November, my favorite month of the year. I never realized it was until just recently, when I discovered how much I loathe October. Next year I'm taking my vacation in October!!

Note: after re-reading, I realize loathe is a strong word. I "do not like" October. Halloween hasn't been a big deal for me for years, and I'm not Jewish or Canadian, so there are no major holidays. The fun of "back to school" has worn off and the thrill of Advent is too far away. Besides, there are too many melancholy songs and poems about fall:

When October Goes (I had no idea this was a Barry Manilow song!!)
Spring and Fall: to a Young Child (GMH Rules!!)


So, after a bunch of "meaty" posts, this is blog-lite, a sort of "coming attractions" or things I will probably blog on soon.

  • Why I'm glad to be Presybterian
  • Why November is such a great month
  • More on Beth Moore--she is sooo awesome!
  • A thankful list, just in time for Thanksgiving
  • A few more pictures, including ones not taken yet of my other pairs of pink shoes
  • My own entry on collected word verification

Tonight I'm going to a "Healing and Wholeness" service at the Glenshaw Presbyterian Church. I like the fact that they include "Wholeness" in the title--so often, healing in churches is thought of as the woman jumping up from her wheelchair. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but not all healing is outer--some of us are walking wounded on the inside. When I went last time, about three months ago, it was set up like we often do at the OD, different prayer stations. You could sit and read healing scriptures, you could ask for prayer in a notebook, you could have some folks pray for you, you could dip your hands in water and remember your baptism, you could walk the labywrinth, and they also had Reiki (which as I understand it is a Japanese Christian form of laying on of hands. I'll try to get a link.) The church is white on the inside with pastel colored square stained glass windows--I have a feeling Martha would approve (Stewart, not Lazarus' sister). The minister gave a short sermon/message. It was just nice, and I need something like that--I feel battleworn and exhausted.

The inheritance (proceeds from the sale of my grandmother's house) (did you really believe I would have a short post?) came on Friday, and yesterday, All Saints Day, I honored my sainted grandparents by sending the money off to an interest bearing account, with which I'll be able to pay my debts and have a small nest egg for an eventual house.

This money means I can resign my post as MOPS coordinator, and possibly drop nursery as a three times/month deal. I have been working pretty much seven days a week and it has finally caught up with me, just as I have the means to say STOP THE MADNESS! It is a wonderful feeling: Money can't buy happiness, but it does give one choices. Huzzah!! I'm not going to completely step away, I've already spoken to folks at MOPS about continuing in a smaller capacity, and I would put myself on the substitutes list for nursery, but it will be nice to have CHOICES!!

But money can't buy vacation days, so next week I'll be working 7 extra hours so that I can have an extra day at Christmas.

This afternoon I'm going to work on a "November book list," my boss suggested "Thankful books." Yes, I think I like the idea.

Songs that are thankful:

"Thanks for the memories..." (old Blue Eyes)

"Thank you for being a friend..." (Golden Girls Soundtrack)

"Thank you, Baby!" (How Sweet it is...JT)

"Thank you" (Dido)

"Thank you for loving me" (Bon Jovi)

There are of course many others, but when you think of thanksgiving, I bet these weren't the songs YOU first thought of...so here's the one you probably did:

Over the river and through the woods.

Be thankful, this month and always.

Ta!

Some Emily Dickinson...because hope is an important muscle to flex!

5 comments:

Joke said...

OK, my turn...what is MOPS?

-J., curious

Verification Word: urvorna, which sounds like some slack-jawed yokel's wife's name.

Sarah Louise said...

MOPS = Mothers of PreschoolerS: I've been the Caregiver Coordinator/Recruiter since July. Basically, it's a Mom's day where the moms get to go to a program and eat yummy food and the kids are in child care. I've been the one masterminding the child care part.

Sarah Louise said...

Enjoyed the healing service. Got to walk their Labyrinth--contemplative. The OD had a labyrinth last year for advent...I wonder if we will again in our new space.

ufnhm: you, far, near, here, merely (in my dreams)

oh dear, that sounds like the beginning of a poem.

Joke said...

No, it sounds like the opening to a ba-a-a-ad romantic hip-hop ballad.

-J.

P.S. Good on ya as re. the healing service. A lot of times we either forget about God's healing grace, or we forget to access it or we forget how.

Sarah Louise said...

Ironic that the day after the healing service I would go home sick? I slept in the afternoon and will probably go to bed early.

ywcfz: yellow was celia's favorite color (hey, it's my game, I can change the rules)