Friday, November 11, 2005

Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company. ~Author Unknown



Well, Show and Tell looks like too much fun, I'm just going to have to go out and get a digital camera. But tea is too close to my heart to not at least "tell."








Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea. ~Author Unknown

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on. ~Billy Connolly

You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis

I got these great quotes and the title one from this great site called "Tea Quotes and Sayings."
I have two favorite tea quotes that I don't know from memory that will have to wait until I get home. Right now I'm blogging this real quick because I just got handed a project that will surely take all my waking children's librarian hours: re-vamping the links on our kid's page.

About the pictures: I do not own tulip cups that exquisite, but I do have mugs that have tulips on them, tulips being my favorite flower. I got them, like most of my favorite things, at Goodwill.

The Polish tea set: I wish I had the whole set, alas, I only have a few mugs. But I do also have a serving tray and a serving dish. I fell in love with the blue and white pattern while my parents lived in Warsaw, Poland and for years I said my honeymoon would be in Poland so I could buy all my wedding china there. For now, I buy pieces occasionally at Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

My mother has determined that tea is a good stocking gift for me. Now that my good friend Suzanne has moved ten blocks away (as opposed to just downstairs), I don't drink tea as much. For years, I would give her tea related gifts, as tea was something we always had. "Would you like to come up/down for tea?" "Oh yes!" One year I gave her a whistling kettle because she always burned out her pans for forgetting the water was on the stove, another year a picture of a tea pot, another year a trivet. After a while, I realized she didn't want any more tea items, but whenever I see something tea related and cute, I think of her. I don't drink tea on my own as much anymore, perhaps because for so long it was a ritual we shared and it seems shallow without her. When my siblings came to the 'Burgh for the U2 concert, we all had colds and so much tea was had by all. On my desk as I sit in the back Children's office, a Gevalia coffee mug sits on a copy of Katie John by Mary Calhoun. It is empty and causing no water marks--the tea was drunk many days past. But if you only look at the one side of the mug, you see the beautiful inscription, on this regal cup which is forest green and embellished with gold lettering: A royal crest and the words, "By Appointment to His Majesty The King of Sweden." The bottom is what gives it away that this was a free mug: Gevalia Kaffee in plain (still gold) lettering.

My 5:00 desk person has arrived, which means it is time for dinner: I'm going for a culinary feast of baked potatoes at Wendy's. Ah, fine dining at its best! So I bid you adieu.

No comments: