Monday, November 05, 2007

Joy is the most infallible sign of the prescence of God.

Joy, not happiness.

This morning, I awoke as I do most Mondays to the sound of trash trucks. I rolled over. Eventually, though, my curiosity got the better of me and I went to the front room. Rats. Each one of us thought it was someone else's week (which means it was probably my week) to take out the trash. And I've started cleaning out my fridge, so I needed that trash to go out, not to ferment for 7 days. So I put on jeans, a coat, my boots (I need boots that don't need to be laced up!!) I walked down the street and found trash men still loading stuff up, and handed them the two bags that had food trash that I had cleaned out from my fridge. (Oh thank goodness that I use grocery bags which are small.)

**********

I have a friend who is going through some times. And her heart is near to my heart. She has been through trenches and valleys and hilltops as far as relationships go. And she is making some really good (HARD, though) choices. I am very proud of her. But it is not easy.

This morning, I woke up and I thought, Lord, I need something. Give me something. I have gotten back in the mode of grabbing my Bible even before I get out of bed. I paged through the Psalms, and found 131, wandered over to 126 and revelled in 127. Then I paged over to 91. I couldn't even focus on the words. So then I got up, visited the loo and to my general M.O., which is check email. I read your lovely comments on yesterday's post. (Vanity of vanities, when I check email, I always read comments first.) Then I read my other email. Another RSVP for my party Saturday. Oh, how I wish all y'all that are far flung could come too. And what I really should read first, the WOH devotional. Each month they change authors. Last month the author was a missionary in Mexico writing on Colossians. This month it's a husband/wife team writing about the Sudan. So they're not using a particular book of the Bible as their daily text. This morning, I opened the email and Psalm 91 was staring me in the face. Thank you, Lord. I needed that.

Here it is:

Psalm 91

1 She who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because she loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue her;
I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name.

15 She will call upon me, and I will answer her;
I will be with her in trouble,
I will deliver her and honor her.

16 With long life will I satisfy her
and show her my salvation."

(courtesy of Biblegateway.com, NIV translation)

You may notice that I changed the language. I changed the hims to hers and the hes to shes. It's okay to do that, to make a verse read, "with life I will satisfy Sarah Louise and show her my salvation."

************

Hey, tomorrow is Election Day in the U.S. Hey, even if all you're voting for is a school board member, it still is VERY important. We have the choice whether we want to show up at the polls tomorrow or not. Here's an article on voter participation from Wikipedia.

If you live in Pennsylvania, you can visit the spa. Well, doesn't it sound like it? Votespa.com.

Bright and early tomorrow, I'll be over at Fulton School, taking names and helping folks with the newfangled machines PA got a few years ago.

Here's last year's post, which has links which should still be helpful if you need information.

Lecture over. You can go back to your coffee now.

And I gotta run (well, drive) to the chiropractor. Tomorrow's post will either be really early or really late, as the polls are from 7 am to 8 pm and I have to be there at like 6:15 or something.

TTFN!








______________
*Leon Bloy, French novelist and convert to Roman Catholicism.

No comments: