Tuesday, June 27, 2006

rain rain go away, little Susie wants to play...

It's raining. If you're anywhere on the Right coast-ish (East Coast, USA) (as opposed to the Left, or West, Coast) you know of that which I speak.

Actually, I think it did stop for a moment. But never fear, the skies are still gray. Ugh!

It's the sort of day you want to just go to the mall or curl up with a book. I may actually go into work early, so that I can leave early on Saturday and do this.

I think I'll copy-cat Babs soon and do my own "shoe" post. I even already have pictures of her shoes!

I added a few folks to the right--to "Shoe Shopping": PJ, Carolyn, who are just great ladies, and fun to read! They have every right to be mad that it took me so long, but knowing them, they'll just say something sweet. To "Church Shoes" I've added Semicolon (who I only realized today is mother to eight!!!) and What I see, the blog of the Rich Ufford-Chase, who was moderator for the Presybterian Church (USA) for the past year or so. And I don't know if I mentioned it when I added it, this crazy Catholic guy I know, Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.

I'll probably add a few library links to "Work Shoes" later this week. I am so grateful for the blogosphere for opening my eyes to so many new things. I wrestle to keep my blog up to date, I wrestle with what I read from others, I wrestle on what to comment or what others commented. I even did get a new name (I love it that some people call me Sarah Louise when they see me "in real life.")

It's raining again. I'm listening to WJAS, the nation's top rated nostalgia station. I love the fact that folks like Sting and Rod Stewart (yes!) have taken up singing the Standards. Sting just sang "What are you doing the rest of your life." Listening to you crooning, I think.

Oh, and reading. Last week I ordered up a ton of books from the library. Since I work there, books show up on my desk, or in my mailbox (maybe.) I have two desks, two mailboxes, and there are at least two other places my books might show up. An intriguing read for those of us thirty and fortysomething singles (and a book I'd like to recommend anonymously to a few folks): Unhooked Generation. One of the things it talks about is how our culture prevents us from committed relationships. Match.com is described in detail--I was apalled! I did the eHarmony.com thing awhile back and luckily got every penny back. Part of my problem (and the author's) with these online sites is the "check-list" mentality. Let's see, I want a blond 6' lacrosse player who has been to Europe, wears wingtips, and will dance the Macarena at our wedding. Um, from what I've heard from my married friends, it doesn't work that way. And from my own experience, what looks great on paper, on-line, on the phone, doesn't always translate to everyday life.

In fiction, I just finished Romantically Challenged (which features a protagonist who does the dating agency thing and gets burned when the company goes belly-up).

...and I'll leave you with this quote from Julia Roberts, from my "Fabulous Broads" page-a-day calendar "I'm too tall to be a girl. I'm between a chick and a broad."

Ciao!

Oh, and in case you care, this week's 6:00 Friends is the whole "Ross and Rachel break up" and at 7:00, Ross just had a baby son. I'm waiting for the library to cough up the next 6 episodes so that I can continue with the Complete Fourth Season of Sex and the City.

5 comments:

Eileen said...

I don't think I've called you SL face to face - but I definitely catch myself calling you SL when talking w/ Chris... but that's mainly b/c I talk to him about this blog :o)

Paula said...

Thank you for adding me to your blogroll! I think your very sweet and can't imagine being mad at you.

It's raining here too and there are flash floods in a few places down the mountain but we're safe and sound here.

Have fun this weekend!

MsCellania said...

Rain and Reading. Nice.
I just started WHITE TEETH for reading group. I am so glad to be reading again. I am also reading LAUNDRY as I want to stop using dry cleaners as much as possible.
I was late to find S&TC too. It is thigh-slapping funny.
Thought of you today as I was walking up and down our hilly streets. For a Coffee. With a Book!

Caro said...

Thanks for adding me and for saying such nice things.

I've never watched Sex and the City. I guess it goes with my lack of shoes.

Sarah Louise said...

I won't hold it against you, C.

SL