Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Point (and further ramblings)

Well, this is Pittsburgh, after all. The city that will buy up all the brown shirts you'll sell it. (Honest injun, a friend of mine used to be a buyer in the men's department for Kaufmanns. Whenever she was in NYC looking for stuff and saw brown shirts, she bought them all, because apparently, Pittsburgh men will buy them, hand over fist.)

Yesterday I posted on an event happening at the Point. Singing a song from the Mr. Rogers' show with one of the former stars, Mr. McFeely.

"IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
"BE PART OF A FILM SHOOT SATURDAY JULY 1, 2006 5:00 PM AT THE POINT
On Saturday July 1st at 5 p.m., Pittsburghers, past and present, near and far, are invited to join Mr. McFeely (David Newell) to sing "It's ABeautiful Day In the Neighborhood" at The Point.This once-in-a-lifetime event is part of the grand finale of "A TALE OFTWO CITIES", a movie we are making about Pittsburgh-- the city which builtAmerica with its steel, cured polio and invented everything from aluminumto the Big Mac which now is being challenged to reinvent itself.

I found out about it from an email forwarded from someone my boss knows, who forwarded it to me. I dutifully sent it out to my entire address book. My two tried and true Pittsburgh friends replied thusly:
  1. "How do I know this isn't a hoax?" and then later, "I checked it out, it's not a hoax."
  2. "Well, it's not Rick Sebak. Pittsburghers are constantly reinventing the city. It's not really a matter of 'two' cities over time."

Oh for crying out loud. My parents, normal people, replied thusly: (well, my mom)

"It looks to me like a MUST Do. You would just have to leave work early, not not go at all right?

Love you, Mom"

So that's one Point, Point State Park, the place where three rivers meet.

This post is also about another kind of point, a point in time. It's called, Sarah Louise cannot stand her hair on her neck anymore so she MUST put her hair up. It's the Ponytail Point. Then there's the point at which Sarah Louise must take off her ring (sometime from getting home from work to at least 15 minutes before bedtime) and the point in the morning at which she must put her ring back on. It's the Ring Point. Then, there's the Shoe Point. This one can be easily determined: the minute Sarah Louise enters her garret (which is wall to wall carpeted in entirety.)

On the way to Target Monday, Babs and I discussed blogging. How it can sometimes be cliquish and high school. Well, yeah! I loved high school. (Ninth grade was horrible, but that's normal.) But then again, my high school wasn't cliquish. We had groups that morphed. I was a part of the courtyard group (the folks that ate lunch in the courtyard.) Our group was anywhere between 8 and 20 folks. I was in a similar group in college. My college was a little cliquey. However, the worst cliquishness I experienced: at the youth group at my church. I came in at 7th grade and they'd been together for years and I was never "one of them." Finally I stopped going my senior year of high school.

And I have never heard of a "pop-up" thunderstorm, but that's the forecast for this afternoon.

8 comments:

Peg said...

Promise you'll go to the sing-along on the 1st, for those of us who won't be able to (and that you'll blog about it!). I'm with your mom on that one.

P.S. You probably already know this but Mr. McFeeley was both named after and modeled after Fred Rogers' grandfather.

Sarah Louise said...

I think I might have known that about Mr. McFeely but had forgotten it. I fully intend to attend the sing-along. Pray for good weather!

And after, I'll go hear Good Brother Earl, a Pgh band, and the Violent Femmes. It's a star-studded day, what can I say?

Sarah Louise said...

that was wierd--the server or someone kept giving me error messages, but I see now that the comment has posted...

Paula said...

I loved Mr. Rogers when I was a girl.

Sarah Louise said...

I actually got to shake his hand while in Library School. He came to an event that we had to commemorate "it's been six weeks since 9/11" or something like that. Our Children's Lit teacher knew him and so she introduced us to him--the funny part was that the one guy who was like "don't fawn over him" totally did. Mr. Rogers shrunk--I guess it happens to us all--and so he wasn't the tall man I remember from TV. But I doubt I'll forget that day soon.

Sarah Louise said...

I actually got to shake his hand while in Library School. He came to an event that we had to commemorate "it's been six weeks since 9/11" or something like that. Our Children's Lit teacher knew him and so she introduced us to him--the funny part was that the one guy who was like "don't fawn over him" totally did. Mr. Rogers shrunk--I guess it happens to us all--and so he wasn't the tall man I remember from TV. But I doubt I'll forget that day soon.

Caro said...

I despised high school.

Sarah Louise said...

I know a lot of people that did. I despised my freshman year of both college and high school.

Today I'm off to the sing-along (after I do some *ack* original cataloguing!)