Sunday, June 25, 2006

Over time, I have become more comfortable with mystery rather than certainty. (Phillip Yancey)

This was one of those wrestling with God weeks. A friend said to me, well, Jacob didn't give up (refererring to the dream where Jacob wrestled with God and got a new name, Israel, and a limp.)

Literature on bi-polar says that a regular schedule is what will keep you in check (read: healthy, out of the hospital, etc.). Literature on first borns (me) and only borns (I was an only until 10) say that I should be organized, using a Palm Pilot, and spoiled. Well, guess what, I'm un-boxable. I have seasons where I keep a regular schedule (if you can call it that) but I am pretty free-form and my doctors are always pleased at how healthy I am. I have a Palm Pilot (or is it a Pocket PC) that I used to play the games. I'll probably sell it, as soon as I locate it in my garret and get my ducks in a row. Literature on Global Nomads says that we either wander for the rest of our lives or find a place and stay put. Yes, I have found my stay put. I do not ever want to leave my garret. (Well, not never, but I do not want to have to move!) I love Pittsburgh and am forever discovering new things to do, new people to befriend.

And I love the old (make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold.) I mourn the loss of old friends but work hard at making my new ones into faux and real antiques. Change has been the currency of my life, and I want stability! I've done my globe trotting--I want to go back to the places I've been before and see them again. Yesterday I found a picture of Old Town Warsaw, Poland (Stare Miasto) which was rebuilt after WWII. (So it's really new, based on the old.) I put it on the wall by my desk at work, so I can look at it. Places sometimes mean more to me than people--I wonder if Le Petit Trianon is still there, a French restaurant where my mother and I would go for crepes in the middle of the afternoon. I long to re-visit the sculpture museum, where they had a sculpture of three pregnant women. Oh, and a Rodin.

There are places I'll remember, all my life, though some have changed... I think of Paul McCartney, now 64, and not having someone to love him like in the song (will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?).

Right now I'm in that sweet place. It comes and goes, but it's that place where I have a smile lightly dancing on my lips. This week, contributing to the sweet place:

  • Grocery shopping with Babs and Terzo. She knows I rarely say no. And she found individual yogurts--6 oz! (They used to be 8 oz, at the same price but this is about sweet moments...)
  • Marzipan with chocolate for breakfast (due to Babs recommendation.)
  • Second dinner and beer at the Sharp Edge with Babs, last night. Oh, it is so good to have friends!
  • Listening to Back when we were grownups (Anne Tyler), read by Blair Brown. (need I say more?)
  • Reading blogs: Telfair is moving, bb is traveling, and Babs is reading more books than humanly possible. Oh, and Erin is finding Play Doh in her car!
This was the verse that hit me this morning (Yes, I've gotten back to reading the Bible, mornings.)

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of [queens].

(I changed kings to queens. It's my blog, I get to do that!)

Because God is clearly concealing a whole heck of a lot from me these days. But he is also reavealing to me that I am such a broken vessel, in need of grace and glue. I thank all y'all who have donated your Elmer's moments to me, whether you knew it or not.

8 comments:

sara said...

Yep...I'm moving! Back to Detroit (not Tuvalu, unfortunately.)

Thanks for all of your encouragement on my ranting raving moving angst blog...

I'd rather be eating chocolate and marzipan for breakfast!

Sarah Louise said...

Detroit...the Motor City. Yeah, good luck with all the moving!

Caro said...

I'm glad you're having a good week.

Erin said...

So glad to hear that you're in a sweet place. The Play-Doh remains a mystery. And it will continue to ride around in the car with me :)

MsCellania said...

It does sound like a good week! You are blessed to have Family, Faith and Friends. Add books and your life is complete!
And I have a tummy ache tonight, which is odd for me.
Goodnight, SL!

Joke said...

SHH! Don't jinx it!

-J.

Anonymous said...

Being in a sweet place is all that we can ask. I'm enjoying reading about your small moments of bliss. I think they are the best and most sustaining.

Sarah Louise said...

Yes, small moments are very cool.