Tuesday, August 09, 2005

pink is the new black

Well, I've been working on this 5 minute testimony on Harry Potter for the Open Door, and today on my walk, it hit me: I want to give people something they can't get from the Internet or from reading the books: I want to give them my personal story. All the stuff I've been reading online and in books (Invested in a copy of Finding God in Harry Potter)(Fabulous!) I can put in the pamphlets. So I'm going to talk about Serius and the importance he had in Harry's life, and relate it to my life. Sort of.

Finished Every Boy's Got one by Meg Cabot: I love her!!

Watched Washington Square on Saturday with Babelbabe and Gina--I would not have finished watching that movie alone, but it was a beautiful film. There are some pieces of art (film, books) that I need someone to hold me accountable, drag me along, and then I realize I did like it.

Chick lit, for instance, I don't really think is good fodder for a book group discussion. It's WYSWYG literature--what you see is what you get--no major symbols there. But a book like the Time Traveller's Wife, or Morality Play, or A Patchwork Planet--these have more complex issues and characters, and not everyone's going to like the book, but everyone's going to have something to say. Which is why I was so glad I had two friends who really wanted to finish watching Washington Square--I never would have done it alone. I'm babbling--I'm waiting for my lunch pal to show up and I'm a little giddy from sleep disturbance.

Other movies I'd not watch alone (at least for the first viewing):
Bridget Jones at the Edge of Reason (Renee Zellweger)
Philadelphia (Tom Hanks)
Restoration (Meg Ryan)

No comments: