Saturday, July 30, 2005

I finally got around to it...

Can you keep a secret? Please don't keep this one: Sophie Kinsella is not a hopeful writer. I mean, I understand that part of chicklit is this thirtysomething angst, but when the first three chapters are about how horrible her life is...so I read to the end (big surprise--me doing that I mean) and it turned out okay, but it wasn't worth reading the rest. So I continue to wait for Something Blue to come off the hold list at work.

Here's the Kirkus review: I agree totally: Kirkus Reviews
The author of the Shopaholic trilogy (Shopaholic Ties the Knot, 2002, etc.) runs out of ideas. Emma Corrigan, a heroine who seems about 11 years old, has a few giggly little secrets. Just between us superannuated schoolgirls, she hasn't the faintest idea what NATO is, and she has never, ever told her boyfriend Connor that she actually weighs 128 pounds, not 118. Oh, and her Kate Spade bag is a fake. And she loves sweet sherry. Yes, the list of endearing fibs is long and equally trivial, but she confesses most of it to a business-suited American on a plane. He's not really listening, is he? Oh, dear, what a dreadful pickle Emma gets herself into! As luck would have it, the handsome stranger, Jack Harper, turns out to be her new boss! "Look at him! He's got limos and flunkies, and a great, big important company that makes millions every year!" Whatever will Emma do? Blush, simper, and have a little vodka-though she doesn't seem old enough to drink without a sippy cup and a pink-kitten-printed bib. Good thing she has the sort of job where fib-telling is what she does, really-marketing things like sports drinks and energy bars and petroleum products requires the truth to be bent just a teeny-weeny bit, doesn't it? And when she realizes, thanks to an elderly relative, that the energy bars don't stick to dentures, she comes up with a simply brilliant idea that just might land her that big promotion! Maybe she'll buy that smart new suit after all. But her personal life is in a dreadful muddle and Emma is ready to cry real tears-when Jack steps in to make things all better. Just plain dopey. But Kinsella's name plus a bubblegum-pink cover will attract the fans. Film rights to Paramount. Agent:Kim Witherspoon/Witherspoon Associates

It's that moment I was expecting to happen when I finally got around to reading the Harry Potters--all the hype, none of the substance. Like when a friend gives a movie what I see as the worst compliment: "It was cute." As if it had no merit, it was a throwaway 2 hours, worthy of a three syllable synopsis. Except that Rowling of Potter, Harry books did not disappoint, and Kinsella just blows. I'm sure she's a nice person, but I'm sure Danielle Steel is too. But that doesn't mean I have to waste time reading them. I promise to find another good book to review soon.

Ala "hormonal disonance" I left work early and fell asleep on the couch watching A Knight's Tale. I woke up thinking ohmigosh I'm late for nursery! (Wouldn't you know I am the early person tomorrow...) So I threw a load of laundry and my "lullaby" is already in the background as I write this..."I have a sad announcement to make...City books is going under..." (Tom Hanks, You've Got Mail) So I'll leave this now, BRUSH MY TEETH, (dentist appt on Monday), and go to bed (well, snuggle up on the sofa.) I'm looking forward to the fall when I can sleep in my bed again, but will I be so addicted to YGM by then....I can't worry about that now.

Oh and I may truly be able to go on vacation with my family in the Poconos later in August (it is still July for 20 minutes). Oh I hope so!

Ciao.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Ack! I was glancing thru quickly before reading the whole thing and i thought you meant City Books in Pittsburgh. Whew.

Sarah Louise said...

Sorry!! That movie I think is so near to my heart because I worked for B&N (the evil empire) for 7 years and I remember when all the children's bookstores closed in Pittsburgh--and they didn't close because of the Big Bad Wolf, well, at least Pinocchio didn't. I finally put in an ILL for the movie "Shop Around the Corner."