Friday, November 06, 2020

Liminal places and waiting

I think it was Nadia Bolz-Weber who said we are in a liminal time right now. It sounds like something she would say, but I can't confirm.


Liminal:  Of, relating to, or being in an intermediate state, phase, or condition. 

We're actually in the threshold of three different stages of waiting, at least. The three that I am identifying with are:

  1. Waiting for a Presidential Candidate to be declared President Elect [Reuters] (from now until ??)
  2. Advent [Wikipedia] (the time that Christians designate to "wait for Christ" and Christmas)
  3. Waiting for the Inaguration [Countdown timer] (because if Biden is President Elect, there will be all kinds of nonsense from #45)
There are other things we are waiting for, of course, like the Winter Solstice (when the days stop getting shorter and start gettting longer), Friday (which happens to be today, woo hoo!) and...(fill in the blank). 

That's a good comment prompt. What are you waiting for in this season? 

I thought of creating an "advent" calendar using toilet paper rolls and tissue paper and chocolate and verses about justice and waiting but I don't think I have that kind of time and patience. And I do need a writing project right now. 

So I'm going to show up here every day from now until January 20, 2021 (within reasonable limits). And I'm going to talk about waiting in some way/shape/form.I don't know what it will be like, but come along, if you dare. 

***

Podcast I listened to this morning: Food and Faith Podcast: "Conversations on Hope and Lament"


Book I'm reading: The Off Season by Catherine Gilbert Murdock


What I saw along my walk: Zinnias in various stages of living and dying, and roses, same. 


This is a fall picture that was previously published to this blog, a look out on my back yard from my third floor walk-up in Pittsburgh. I currently live in Falls Church, Virginia. 

I love comments! So just to recap: what are you waiting for in this season? (Or anything else you want to put in the comment box that is PG-13). I reserve the right to police the comments. 


3 comments:

Holly said...

I suppose I am waiting for...knowledge about the future! Which is funny, because it doesn't ever really exist, does it? But I'd like to know when we'll come out of this tunnel.

Sarah Louise said...

Amen!!! I started a list of things I’m waiting for and the vaccine is at the top.

EJones said...

Thank goodness there’s been some positivity on the vaccine front.

Long term, I’m looking for a good job. For right now, I’ll settle for my little dove’s first bday :)