Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Forwarned is forarmed...

So, being the bloggy friend that I like to think I am, here's a link to my post about the gas station disaster, as Katrina just blogged about petroleum on gabardine. In it, there is a link to an article about what happens if you put something with gas on it in your dryer....

North Hills Sally just called...she has been awake since 4 a.m. and has been folding laundry and sorting magazines. GAH! I haven't been there for a long time, but I know what that's like. I told her, I woke up at 4 a.m., but I went back to bed. She said, I couldn't. Wow, it's so weird to be the sane one...I remember the year I had insomnia once a month. I never tracked it to PMS, but I bet there was a correlation. It was the year before my bipolar diagnosis.

She'd like me to run a load of laundry before she gets here. (Yes, I'm going to let this laundry folding, magazine sorting lady into my apartment...)

I remember in the old days, when I would read organizing books (I've given up on them--I prefer Jen Weiner) and they'd say, "Find a friend to help you." I always thought, I'll never find someone...but she found me. So off I go, dutifully, to sort a load. She even asked if I needed quarters. I hope she doesn't buy coffee on the way over...

But to her credit, she is great. She understands which things she can pitch and which things she needs to wait for me to approve (even if it is an empty envelope from my dad, which I save primarily for the great stamps.)

How did she find me? This is going to sound corny to some, so just bear with me. I have a group of about eight folks that I send updates of me to: I'm still alive, etc. Mostly it's prayer requests. So one day, I wrote something to the effect of, "It would be so nice to have someone come and wash my dishes." Sally came over the next day, we were supposed to work on my finances, and the rest is history. So my finances are still a mess, but my apartment is gradually losing twelve years of clutter.

God works in mysterious ways...

Oh, and I'm not labeling for a while. I have a gazillion.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I would imagine it is wonderful for her to feel useful, loved and needed and wonderful for you to have some help, some company and a great companion while you're at it!! What a wonderful friendship!!

Katrina said...

Wow! Thank you for the timely information on gasoline spills! (I'm sure my landlord would thank you, too, if he knew how close I just came to blowing up my dryer.)

You are a good bloggy friend, for the record. :D

I think your organizing friend sounds like she has a true gift. What a blessing! I have offered several times to help one of my friends organize her place, but after witnessing a few of my tirades against clutter, I think she's afraid to have me come over...lol! I don't blame her, though. I don't have that knack of knowing which things can be thrown out and which things can't--I'm more of the slash-and-burn type organizer. ;)

Sarah Louise said...

A: She truly is a Godsend!!

K: oh, good, glad to be of use. On organizing, it takes patience to be of the helpful not quite slash and burn. It's an art, not a science. It took Sally and I awhile before I really trusted her. We've worked at it.