Thursday, September 18, 2008

People are always on the verge of tears...

(The whole quote: It's much easier to write a solemn book than a funny book. It's harder to make people laugh than it is to make them cry. --from the Lovely Fran Lebowitz)

I cried last night upon reading Marilynne Robinson's book. No spoilers here, no reviews either.

I cried yesterday when I ran out of time in the morning (oh, I wrote about that already.)

I haven't cried yet upon discovering I wasn't even given an interview for the most recent job I didn't get. Talking to Sally wasn't helpful, as I also told her that our library is on a hiring freeze and a nearby library had to fire their Executive and Library directors because they lost money in investments last year. She thought now must be the time for me to be glad I have a job. Which, yes, I am.

It is also time for me to look outside Pittsburgh again.

Ugh. I was planning to do stuff in the apartment today and yet I am in my bathrobe, after watching two episodes of SATC and now I've just turned on Ellen.

I'm afraid I've become one of those cautionary tale bloggers. (You know, thirty-something, depressed...)

Things will turn around soon. I promise. Even if I have to fictionalize my life, I promise better posts coming soon.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I like that quote. I haven't decided if I think it's true, though.

Don't worry...I am, without a doubt, a cautionary tale too. (That's kinda fun to say!)