Saturday, June 10, 2006

"We'll be friends forever, won't we, Pooh?" asked Piglet.

"Even longer," answered Pooh. (AA Milne)

Well folks, I had plans for a nice long post detailing stuff and things, but it's already almost 8 and I have to be at the UP at 8:30. So, quickly:

  • Thanks to all for wishing me well re: health. No, I have no updates (not even from the gyn)except to say I still have the cough, and um *other* issues. Email me if you really want to know. Tomorrow I really am resting (as opposed to last Sunday, where I told you I was gonna and ended up spending the day in whirlwind social activity.)
  • Blogger will be out at 8:43 PST. Read more here. Ugh.

Last night I went to a goodbye party for a friend who will still be in town til July 17. So this was just the first goodbye. But I will miss him. He and his wife are among the first friends I got to know when I came back to Pittsburgh for grad school. We were all a part of a Bible Study that in the past 4 years has morphed into at least two other Bible Studies. At least three of the men who were single when we started are now married. At least one of the girls is now dating. It took me two episodes of Friends, one episode of Frasier, and a Seinfeld stand-up joke to finally get my rear in gear to get ready. Yes, I dreaded this get-together. Why?

Hello, no rings here. Oh, and did I mention that there's at least one baby? Most of these folks still attend Bellefield, so I don't see them regularly, since I attend the Open Door. They are lovely people. They are even, my friends. But it felt a little bit like the anxiety one might get going to a school reunion. I got the best compliment from Allie: "Your hair looks great long. I saw you the other day across the room and I was stunned at how striking you looked." WOW. Tell me more!

I got lost on the way over there, in part because Pittsburgh is that way. You think you know where you're going and oops! you took one wrong turn and you're on the other side of the river. (Well, not quite, but almost!) I hadn't been to Greenfield in at least a year and I thought, oh, I'll remember when I get there, but clearly I did not. What was interesting was the route I took (before I got lost) was

  • past a place I used to go swing dancing,
  • a place I used to live (which brought back memories of Sweet William, whistling on the way home from a party.) (We had a fight, I left early, and when I heard his whistle outside my window, I went down to make-up.) Oh, Sweet William. But he wasn't the one for me. But he was a really nice guy. Ah, wistfulness.
  • past the apartment building where two women lived that were in a singles/grad students group that lasted about a year, in the mid 90s. I remember coveting their highrise--I've never lived in a highrise except in college and I have always wanted to.

So it was a trip down memory lane and then that pit feeling of crap, I am so lost!! My dear friend Kelly also lives in Greenfield. Our relationship is mainly my cell to her home phone, exchanging prayer requests and updates on our health. Maybe I'll be able to connect with her more this summer. Anyways, she had books I'd lent her at least a year ago, and every time she saw me, she told me "They're sitting on my dresser." She and her kids were walking/riding bikes on the road below where the party was, so I left the party and went to get my books. Oh it is so good to have friends. She knows me on a more daily basis than the folks at the party, so she was able to calm my anxiety. Plus, we got two hugs in--hugs are always the best!

And....it's like the pay phone after your quarter is gone, "Your time is up." Off to wash the hair, etc. and then the UP for the OD, and then to work.

I dream of a blissfully quiet Sunday...

8 comments:

lazy cow said...

I'll join you in that quiet Sunday.
Good night - it's time for bed here.

Paula said...

Feel better soon, I'm sending you an email.

Sarah Louise said...

Oh, I spent the morning in the sun doing things like setting up tents and tables for vendors at the farmer's market. I am sooo relaxed now that I do not want to be at work--do you think they'll still pay me if I take a nap under my desk?

Erin said...

LOL!... yea, if you find a gig where you're paid for napping, hang onto it!

I know that kind of ringless angst. So glad to know that you had a friend to provide half-time hugs. Sound like a real blessing.

BabelBabe said...

i think you are terrific, with or without rings. so there.

i am also liking your new pic.

Anonymous said...

SL, an amazing interpretation of List Friday and one I'm printing out to read the poems again (hate reading poetry online - does something to my eyes).

Hugs to you and sending metaphorical rings of love to you. Hope your health issues resolves and your are up and running in your pink sneakers. I shall be joining you in that quiet Sunday.

MsCellania said...

Here's to Quiet Sundays.
And Hugs!

I enjoy your great ponderings, Miss SL; indeedy I do.

Sarah Louise said...

Thanks guys! However, my attempts at a quiet Sunday were again thwarted: I had a flat tire before church! (other things too, but I'm exhausted and must crash)