Monday, September 17, 2007

Finland has produced so many brilliant distance runners because back home it costs $2.50 a gallon for gas. ~Esa Tikkannen, 1979 (corrected)

[dear reader, your blogger still lives under the impression that gas should be about $1.50, so she inevitably mis-quotes gas prices. I remember when gas was 99 Cents!!]

So I needed cash and was low on gas, so pulled into a station that has been holding steady at $1.71 $2.71 (USD). Filled the tank. Oh, and they DIDN'T have an ATM.

So I drove a little, took a different route b/c my usual route had construction, and at the BP, it was $1.67 $2.67. They did have an ATM. But see para #1, I had FILLED my tank.

After my appointment, I was going to meet two ladies that I'm going to DC with in two weekends. But I forgot I was going for the moment that it took me to take my normal exit, so I found myself crossing the river. Which is not what I wanted to do. So I drove down the road a pace, crossed the river AGAIN, and then took an earlier exit than I wanted to but it was all good, I got there. Oh, and since I drove through Aspinwall, I drove past the Sunoco where they're selling regular for $1.65 $2.65.

Sigh.

Of course I'm sure I'll get all sorts of snide comments now from bloggers who are paying $3.00 a gallon. The PRINCIPLE of this post is that once you've filled your tank, you inevitably will drive by at least one, possibly two gas stations that are selling gas at a lower rate than you spent.

Oh, and a moment of silence (MOMENT) for the Waterworks Cinema, which closed quite suddenly. Where will I go now to see movies? They changed mgmt like three times over the past ten years, so I'm not surprised, but that was my place, dudes!

Of course, I don't go to the movies as much anymore, but still. So many movie were seen by me there over the years:

While you were sleeping
Twister
Cinderella Story
The Postman (Il Postino)
Liar, Liar
Good Will Hunting
As good as it gets
Jerry Maguire (a first movie date)
Because I said so
Country of Women
Spiderman II

and many many more.*

------------
This list is not exclusive (have you met me?) or in any order except that While you were sleeping and Twister are ones I saw multiple times in the theatre. And Cinderella Story wasn't that great, but I do remember going to see it there.

I mean, I have their "movie phone" number MEMORIZED. In the age of caller ID and the cell phone, it is one of the few phone numbers I can recite off heart. Sigh.

2 comments:

Amy A. said...

My first job was one in which I was paid in cash every Friday. I would then go fill up my tank for 67 CENTS A GALLON!! And I'm not THAT old.

Sarah Louise said...

When I got out of college, with my first "my own" car, gas was 99c. And then it went up, but then it went down again...67 cents sounds GREAT.