Saturday, October 08, 2005

It's a rainy day in Georgia

Actually, it's a rainy day in Pittsburgh, but I love using song titles as titles for my posts. I'm in my cataloguing mode, so there are no windows--the only way I knew it was really raining was my trek out to the stacks to see what movies I could scrounge for tonight. So I think it will be Save the Last Dance for me and City of Angels. This is my 6th day of working in a row and I need to blast off some steam!

http://www.grimmfairytales.com/en/main This is one website that always makes me smile...

Also, I got some Schubert. I've been reading Think Denk, the blog of this concert pianist, and he was listening to Schubert while sorting his mail. My knowledge of classical music is minimal, so I always take recommendations. I'm familiar with Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart, but beyond that... I do like Aaron Copeland a lot. And Gershwin. There's this one Gershwin piece that is called "Walking the Dog" or something like that, and it truly is that. I heard it at the Kennedy Center a few (could it be almost five?) years ago when they had their Memorial Day concert. It was rained out and therefore inside...I don't remember, but it was a free concert and wonderful.

I once dated a guy who loved opera. His parents gave him season tickets for his birthday and so while we were a couple, I went along as his date. I fell asleep almost every time. I hate the fact that they give you the English--the translations are always so horrible, I'd rather just listen to the music. I love the Magic Flute as an opera, have seen it three times (once in Pittsburgh, twice in Warsaw, Poland) and I have to say the Pittsburgh Opera didn't do it service. In Warsaw, the opera was part of a summer-long Mozart festival (it was the anniversary of his birth or death) and the costumes were fabulous and the venue was a smaller, more intimate one than the Benedum Center. I did like going into town though; we'd usually have a fancy restaurant dinner (with wine, hello, did you want me to fall asleep or not?) and then go in. We'd get all dressed up, which I love doing--something I do so rarely now--the OD is much more a jeans and t-shirt type church, and children's librarians mostly wear pants. I remember once wearing my green Liz Claiborne dress which had been a bridesmaid dress for a winter wedding (the only bridesmaid dress I own, actually). I am such a girl (well, if the pink sneakers didn't tip you off...). Well, back to work. I have about a half hour to go...and then off to the grocery store. I'm thinking it's a Dijourno night...although I'll be having pizza for dinner tomorrow night too...I have to start cooking again!

Ta!

No comments: