Sunday, October 23, 2005

Here we go Stillers, Here we go!

Okay, you probably have never noticed that I was a football fan. It's true, I'm not. But I'm always glad when the home team wins. People are happier in the Burgh when they do. There is a sort of link between domestic violence and football, though the Super Bowl myth is just that. Pittsburgh is not one of the 14 cities they studied, but if you live in Pittsburgh, you know that life is better on the Monday after a win. The link is this: if a game is percieved to be a winner, there is less domestic violence. (Actual final scores might not affect actual violence.)

I'm a Pen's fan...they're not doing so hot this season, either.

alright, so I went trolling for a meme. This is 7 for Sunday, Birthdays:
1. How many Birthdays have you had?
2. How do you generally celebrate your birthday?
3. Think of the Best Birthday you ever had. When was it? and Why was it so great?
4. Think of the Worst Birthday you ever had. When was it? and Why was it so bad?
5. What is the most thoughtful gift you have ever received?
6. What is the worst gift you have ever received?
7. What would your dream birthday celebration be like?

My birthday is coming up (Nov 28) and I'm planning my party for a few weeks earlier (because I'll be out of town for my birthday which this year falls on Monday after Thanksgiving.) I'll be 34--which feels wierd. I guess that answers #1.
#2: I generally celebrate my birthday with friends or family (depending on how close my birthday is to Thanksgiving and whether I'm living with or near family.) If I'm celebrating in my digs, I have a bunch of folks over--which is always fun b/c most of my friends don't know each other, so it's a great mix. If it's with family, it's generally fun too and I generally get carrot cake. My grandmother started that tradition. Yes, having a birthday so close to Christmas does take some of the punch out of it, and I generally figure out what I really wanted on Dec 23 or 26, so I have to wait another full year for the next "gift giving holiday." But my sibs also have winter birthdays, so we're all used to the birthday/Christmas phenom. We usually exchange CDs/Videos or more recently DVDs.

#3 Best Birthday? Gosh, I always have fun...but I'd say there are two that stick out: my 17th and my 19th. Both were surprise parties. (I love surprise parties.) My 17th I thought I was going out with my parents and my sibs (who were 6 and 7). I was bummed b/c they weren't getting a babysitter--I love my sibs now, but at 6 and 7, we didn't have a lot in common. I get a little selfish, but c'mon, it's my birthday!! So I'm complaining on the phone to Susan (yes, the boxtops queen) and saying, yeah, it's gonna be a snooze fest. We get to the restaurant and ohmigosh! not only is there a table full of my friends, but they pooled together to get me a boom box, which I really really wanted. My 19th birthday I think we went out for dinner (why else was I wearing amber to Cornerstone?) and then my friends and I went to Cornerstone, a college fellowship which is still going strong. The lights were out, they came on, and they brought out a cake! I have pictures and I even wrote a poem commemorating it last year (which I think I posted here a while back, I'll dredge it up.). I also had surprises for my 15th and 20th birthdays.





Yay, I figured out how to put a picture where *I* wanted it to go!

#4 Worst birthday: Like I'm going to post that! Besides, I've never really had a bad birthday. The funniest one was Year Four, when I, not liking peas, but forced to eat them, chipmunked them in my cheeks. You guessed it, when it was time to blow out the candles, peas galore! And we have it on film! Note to self: where is that film?

#5 Most thoughtful gift: Okay, this most, worst, I'm not into that. The gift that surprised me most and was exactly what I wanted, how could she know? was the year my Aunt Hilda got me a watch. It was a brown watch, and it had one of those insets where at night it has a moon and stars and during the day it has a sun. I had always wanted a watch like that, and I hadn't even put watch on my list (although my mom did hear me complaining about my watch a lot.) I no longer have that watch--I got it over eight years ago, but it was a great gift. I suppose Christmas gifts aren't supposed to be in this category, but since my mind does the whole Christmas/Birthday thing, I'll count myself exempt. It's my blog, and I'll do what I want to (to the tune of "It's my party (and I'll cry if I want to.)"

#6 Worst gift: I blot things like that out of my conscious memory. Sorry. Well, (and yes, this is in the Christmas category, but it said worst gift, not worst birthday gift) one year the guy I was dating procrastinated and got me a jewelery set. Costume jewelery, a bracelet and earrings. He probably spent $15.00 tops. (Was that the "spending limit" we had set? I didn't keep it.) He spent tons on his 8 year old daughter. I had spent a good deal on him, little gifts each time I saw something that reminded me of him. (Cause I'm like that.) The bracelet broke before New Years. I never told him because I didn't want to crush his already fragile ego. Yeah, you guessed it, the relationship didn't last much longer either. We broke up the weekend of the Golden Globes, which is approximately January 18. I'd write more, but people I know read this blog and I like that, but it does put a certain censorship on my fingers as they fly over the keys.

#7 My dream birthday celebration? Even though I've always said I'd like tulips at my wedding and it would be nice to have an anniversary at another time of year, it would be fun to get married on my birthday...happy birthday to me! Because I'd love a huge reception, like the kind you get for a wedding. It would have to be a decade, like 40 or 50--but I'd want a lot of guests, and dancing (I've only had dancing at my 16th and that was all girls). I'd want a medly of all the Suzi songs (Wake up little Susie, If you knew Susie, Crocodile Rock), and a dress that was pretty but wash and wear, because I've always wanted a cream pie in the face. Oh, and it would be good if it was a surprise. Crap, did I just reveal my first name? Ah the mystery is gone. But really, this blog is Sarah Louise's, which means you can never tell what she'll write...

So yes, Joke, soon I'll post a pink picture. (Of me wearing pink: but I warn you, with scanning being what it is, the color may not transfer well.) And I'll try to be clearer in my writing (since semantics is what got me into this mess). But right now, I've got a cold and I'm going to go nurse it. Oatmeal, here I come.

No comments: