Sunday, August 28, 2005

Vacation rocks

This is a quick post, but I've been gone, so I feel a need to just say "Hiya!" Things that happened on my blog while I was at the lake:
I've been spammed (I didn't know this could happen), visited by friends, and linked. (Check out my mention on the Open Door website!)

When I got back from my week of what my mother called "trapped in the woods with my family" which consisted of no internet access (wow!) I had 1404 messages in my email spam box. I have really got to make some changes 'round here.

Books I read while I was at the lake:

The Historian (good, but confusing)
Must Love Dogs (I think the movie must be better.)
Skating Shoes (a favorite, lemme see if I can find the Meg Ryan quote from You've Got Mail)
Did you know entire movie scripts exist free online? Actually, I think I may read it, there are interesting deletions (the mention of Homer Price and a reference to Krispy Kreme). I can't find an absolute link to the quote, but I have found the quote. Here it is: (forgive me, I just love this movie too much!) (Where is my Joe Fox?)

INT. FOXBOOKS SUPERSTORE - CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT

As Kathleen walks into it.

It's huge, of course. With its reading area, and stage, and
room for displays, and child-size furniture, and so many
books and so many customers.

Kathleen sits down on a little child-size chair, completely
wilted.

KATHLEEN FROM ANOTHER P.O.V.

And now we see Joe watching her, from a distance. She doesn't
see him.

A woman browsing, stops a sales person.

WOMAN SHOPPER
Do you have the "Shoe" books?

SALESPERSON
The "Shoe" books? Who's the author?

WOMAN SHOPPER
I don't know. My friend told me my
daughter has to read the "Shoe" books,
so here I am.

KATHLEEN
Noel Streatfeild. Noel Streatfeild wrote
Ballet Shoes and Skating Shoes and
Theater Shoes and Movie Shoes...
(she starts crying as she tells
her)
I'd start with Skating Shoes, it's my
favorite, although Ballet Shoes is
completely wonderful.

SALESPERSON
Streatfeild. How do you spell that?

KATHLEEN
S-T-R-E-A-T-F-E-I-L-D.

WOMAN SHOPPER
Thank you.


oops, it doesn't mention that Skating Shoes is out of print. Hold the phone.

KATHLEEN: Noel Streatfeild. Noel Streatfeild wrote Ballet Shoes and Skating Shoes and Theater Shoes and Dancing Shoes and...I'd start with Ballet Shoes first, it's my favorite, although Skating Shoes is completely wonderful (cries). But it's out of print. from: http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:uCWGgg9INAIJ:ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/You%27ve%2520Got%2520Mail2.doc+skating+shoes+you%27ve+got+mail+out+of+print&hl=en



(okay, while looking for link found great quiz on YGM, here it is.)

Started:

book about Bathsheba by Francine Rivers (she rocks!)
The 5 Love Languages for Singles (which my mom started reading and now thinks we all should read)
The Confessor (don't bother--it portrays the Catholic church as a Jew hating spy organization)
the latest issue of Latina

Re-reading:

Writing Down the Bones (what a great book on writing!)

What I learned on my summer vacation: my siblings get older, I get younger.

My sister stepped on my glasses (hey if the first time that happened was at 33, I think I'm doing pretty good)
My sister borrowed my nail polish remover (asked) nail polish (didn't)
I borrowed her shoes to go get my brother at the lake for dinner (didn't ask)
She borrowed my shoes to wear at dinner (didn't ask, got permission)
We held hands and jumped in the water
She tried to teach me how to dive (unsuccessfully and humorously).

I love my family. I had a chance to sleep in my old room in Virginia before hopping a Greyhound from Frederick, MD to Pittsburgh, I came home and fell asleep in front of the TV after I called everyone to say I was home.

More later. I "blogged on paper" while I was in the woods.

No comments: