Monday, August 15, 2005

Mary's Day

I was Catholic for a few years, so I was surprised to realize today is the day of Mary's Assumption. It's a huge holiday in Poland, you get the day off work, and I think Catholics are required to go to Mass. This is a poem that I found on http://www.sacredspace.ie/ a prayer site run by some Irish jesuits. When I get around to fixing the links on this blog, it will be one of the links. It's a pretty cool way to just sit at your computer and meditate for a bit. Anyways, I really liked this poem. The poet is Czech.


Forgive me, God, but I console myself
that the beginning and resurrection of all us dead
will simply be announced by the crowing of the cock.
After that we'll remain lying down a while...
The first to get up will be Mother... We'll hear her
quietly laying the fire,
quietly putting the kettle on the stove
and cosily taking the teapot out of the cupboard.
We'll be home once more.

--Vladimir Holan

No comments: