Tuesday, July 19, 2005

just checkin in...

Well, I did not fall off the face of the earth...I had some virus that had me sleeping Friday Saturday and Sunday. I didn't even go to the Open Door service Sunday (though I went for some great grub and fellowship!).

Everyone around me has finished (or will be soon) the new Harry Potter. I (shocked silence) read the end. Well, I won't get my audio copy for a coupla days, I'd rather find out myself who died than have some kid blurt it out as happened to one of my collegues (who had already finished it). I don't think knowing the end will "ruin the literary experience" or whatever guilt my friends want to trip me. Sometimes I just need to know that everything's going to be okay, so I flip to the end. I did it with Something Borrowed (a fabulous chicklit, the sequel Something Blue, is just out). It may be very childish of me, a safety blanket urge, but I'm not going to feel guilty for soothing my soul. Something Borrowed is a surprise book: the good girl has an affair with her best friend's fiance. Wow. When I was in college, an engaged couple broke up and the guy married someone else...I always thought wow, how could they? but reading Something Borrowed makes me see that falling in love isn't all "fair" and "rules." I mean, I should have been married three times over if I'd kept along with former beaus. Thankfully, we listened to our hearts and I'm still single. Well, I would rather be single than married to the wrong man. And having noone around this weekend was very beneficial...my apartment is still tsunami wreckage and noone cared, I slept around the clock and noone woke me up. I only air conditioned one room--can you see that flying if you had a partner? (Especially since that one room has only a narrow couch.) I still think about him, the last guy on my "list" but not as often, and not really romantically...just an "if only."

Total change of topic: did you know that sound waves bouncing off a styrofoam cup could be deciphered visually and used as spy information? I haven't been doing so many dishes lately and so my apartment is littered with styrofoam cups...but when my dad was working for the US govt in Eastern Europe in the late 80s, they kept the curtains closed for that precise reason.

So my day with Harry will come, but I rest easy, knowing the end...and not caring if you think I have broken cardinal reading rules.

1 comment:

Pgh Gal said...

I saw your blog through a comment that you left on Alyssa Creasy's website. I just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog and actually bought Something Borrowed this weekend because of your small review of it. I haven't read it yet but I am excited to start it. Look forward to reading more reviews.