Wednesday, June 27, 2012

R.I.P. Nora Ephron, 1941-2012

"People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. My store is closing this week. I own a store, did I ever tell you that? It's a lovely store, and in a week it'll be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap. Soon, it'll be just a memory. In fact, someone, some foolish person, will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying. But the truth is... I'm heartbroken. I feel as if a part of me has died, and my mother has died all over again, and no one can ever make it right." 

from You've Got Mail, probably the most blogged movie on this blog. 


Filmmaker Nora Ephron has died at 71 (CBS News)
Writer and Filmmaker with a genius for Humor (NYT obit.)


Blogged, here: 

Sarah Louise Goes off her Rocker on Politics
Vacation Rocks 

Wow. There are a lot of posts where I just use quotes from the movie as titles, etc. I just took a tour through my blog. A lot has changed. Well, some things have stayed the same. I still dislike summer.  


If you want to watch some great Nora Ephron movies, I recommend "You've Got Mail," "Julie & Julia," and "When Harry Met Sally." 


Her latest books, I hate my neck and I remember nothing, are WONDERFUL. They are essays about growing older, sure, but they are also about the history of cooking in America, Nora's salad years...I learned here that Craig Claiborne is the reason Americans eat more than just iceberg lettuce. 


I haven't read Nora's other books, but I put a whole bunch on hold last night as soon as I heard the news, to beat the rush.

Things I found while rummaging around: early comments from Helen (hi!), mentions of the boy when he was just another guy at work, mentions of Gerald Ford's death (something the boy also blogged about, I discovered earlier this year when I did my "Google vetting before the first date"). And a lot of old history, things I had forgotten about. 

Bonus: I had written about two books, one that I had forgotten the title (I had actually been thinking recently, what was that book?): Washed Up, which is about beach flotsam (it's really good) and one I forgot about reading:  An Alphabetical Life, about working in bookstores. 




 

No comments: