Monday, June 04, 2012

A cupcake season...

Hearts are breaking all over the place. While there are exceptions, it seems like a lot of us on Twitter and at work are lovelorn. Fortunately, I am still being simply strung along. And at the moment, I am pleased to be so...if this swoonworthy man is going to say goodbye, I hope he waits until August. I can't do heartbreak AND Summer Reading Club.*

So I'm handing out cupcakes. And I wonder, if in this season, I'm partially lovelorn so that I can be a comfort to my truly lovelorn friends. Because encouraging is one of my favorite things to do. Even when I'm in the worst of moods, telling someone they are wearing great earrings makes ME feel better.

I guess that's why I love giving out cupcakes. What's new, cupcake? Muffin much! They are so cute, they just make people smile. You can't get angry at a cupcake. Well, you could, but you'd look pretty silly. Why don't you pick on someone your own size?

***

I have started reading the Liturgy of the Hours. It's not the official one, but a little book that I bought at the library's bookstore, The Book Nook. And there is something about reading a bunch of prayers and some scripture and then reading those two scary words: "silent meditation." I tend to only remember every other day, and I have never done all three readings in one day, but today I got two in, Morning and Vespers. During Vespers, today (missed Midday prayers) I realized that this brave thing I was planning to do was not brave, it was selfish. It's so hard to distinguish between those two! My wanting to invite a friend to go a concert was not about my wanting to go to the concert or wanting to spend some time with my friend. It was because I figured out that my friend might have gone to a concert that we might have gone to with each other if we weren't currently on a break. My friend is going through a rough spot and I just wanted to say "ME! I'm over here!! I need your attention, NOW." Which is not true. Want attention, yes. But need? No. Those might have's sure had me tangled up, though.

Tonight on Twitter, someone said that they had gotten a bit of wisdom from the Cake Boss. I got NO wisdom from TV tonight, I shut it off to only end up reading a mediocre book that I would have tossed across the room except it belongs to the library. I've read so much better books by this author!! The piece of wisdom, it turns out, was that the light of God shines through us all. Which made me think of the song by Leonard Cohen, "Anthem," where the chorus goes, 'there is a crack, a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.' So off I trotted to Youtube to find LC singing some. He does not have a beautiful voice, but like Dylan (who was first?) the words cut to your heart. 

________________
*Summer Reading Club: when all the kids who have been in school come to the library for reading and prizes and programs and it is madness -- just ask any Teen or Children's Librarian that you know. The only way I can describe it is two months of "Retail Christmas" except there is no Christmas at the end.


No comments: