Friday, June 01, 2012

Late night writings...

When my mind won't turn off, like the it has been the past couple of nights, I write.

The old dresser is out (of my apartment.) It's still in the foyer, to be taken for the Highland Park yard sale on Sunday. The new dresser is in. And oh does it have a story. Which I won't tell you. Maybe someday.

It is beautiful. It is the dresser I imagined when I imagined a new dresser. When I saw it at Goodwill on Wednesday, it was the dresser of my dreams. It looks a little odd in my apartment, it is almost too pretty for all my other old furniture, but the fact of the matter is, I will use it, it will be functional, and it is beautiful. The dresser I got in 1993, when I moved to Pittsburgh, the one in the foyer now, hasn't been functional for me for years. It was the wrong dresser for this apartment. But I loved it so much, it had so many good memories. Finally, I realized that it no longer worked, and memories be blast, I needed something functional. But something so BEAUTIFUL? I am humbled. No, sorry, no pictures. You can make them in your mind.

I will be spending the weekend reconstructing my apartment, as I have to dismantle my apartment every time I move furniture. That is because I have a beautiful piece of furniture that sits on the landing of my stairwell. And if you live in a third floor walk-up, as I do, well, the only way in is up. So right now, my landing is naked. All the porcelain figurines that sit on the piece of furniture are in newspaper, in boxes.

After all the drama of the past couple of days, I feel like I have nothing to say. It has all been said. It has all been done. It is time to rest, to regroup. Something shifted, and it's time to say goodbye, time to say hello.

But first, I sleep. Sweet dreams!

Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!
If they do, hit them with a shoe!
                                         (Anon.)

No comments: