Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fidelity and Flowers; High and Broken

God made people because He loves stories. --Elie Wiesel

DSL, you are coming soon! I just lost a post because I forgot that I had "fallen offline." Agh! Well, it was a post that probably was just going to sit in the draft piles--it was a little too personal.

Listening now: Storm by Fernando Ortega
Watched over the weekend: Discs 1&2 of Friends: The Complete First Season.

In thinking about the movie Broken Flowers, (see BJ's blog), it occurred to me that it is similar to High Fidelity, a John Cusak movie based on the Nick Hornby novel. The idea that you can "go home" to former relationships and learn about where you are today (screwed up) because of where you were twenty years ago (screwed up).

Nicole Maris: Prince Charming's a [jerk]; bring on the frogs!
Chase Hammond (slurping): Rib-bit!

from Drive me crazy, starring the chick from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

I have often said Men is actually a four letter word: the final n is silent (Menn).

A story I pull out often to work on begins with this line: my life has been an amphibian kingdom. In it, I tell the (true) story of a friend who so entranced by a guy who picked up a frog from the road that she had a two year affair with him and how it affected our friendship (for worse).

I am doing my best to not stew, but rather stir the pot in a healthy way--I have dredged out some old journals from high school. In them, I hope to unravel some more truth about a man-boy whose memory I thought I had long buried, but who revealed himself in almost human form to me over the weekend. It's amazing--you think you've dealt with something and zing! you come face to face with your past, through a conversation with a friend, through an encounter with an acquaintance. As a writer, I am prone to writing the end of the story of my life, brewing and concocting plot turns in my mind. This may be healthy for a manuscript, for the next Harry Potter, but it is not the best way to analyze one's life.

How do we unravel the strands of God's will, what He allows, and what is dross (not gold)? How do we face and exorcise the demons of our past lives so that we do not re-live them in new stories? As I think about what I want my life to be, I know that I want to clean house now!

So ends one of my more personal and cryptic posts...

No comments: